PDA

View Full Version : Pup Retrieving problems

huntingmarsh
11-13-2003, 08:10 PM
I have a 8-9 month old FM pup that has a problem with retreiving real birds. I've had her retreiving mallard dokkens as early as she could hold it in her mouth but when I have her fetch a real duck she will try grabing it by the feathers and the wings instead of putting it in her mouth:hp: . I have a frozen teal that I have been working with and she will hold it perfect in her mouth and everything but when it comes to a mallard she doesn't know what to do with it. She is trained from everything from obidence to marking but I don't have her fully trained on force fetch. Any help would help.

Corey

chcltlabz
11-14-2003, 06:24 AM
I think you've already answered your own question. Completing force fetching will get her retrieving truck tires if you want her to.

If you plan on following a routine involving force fetching, I'd suggest that you follow the routine to a T and don't stray.

If you want a short answer, I think if you go through some hold drills, she will get it. Give her a few tries and she'll get the hang of it.

huntingmarsh
11-14-2003, 08:07 PM
Thanks chcltlabz, what object would you use for force fetch?? I was just using a PCP pipe and it don't think it was working as well as I thought it would.

Corey

chcltlabz
11-17-2003, 06:54 AM
Using a PCP pipe to force fetch? That explains what happened to the dog in your Avitar:VC:

I've used the barbell type before, but I've found that you're just fine starting with a puppy dummy, moving up to a regular dummy. Then I move into small ducks, large ducks them geese. At the same time, you can work the same line with the force to pile etc.

I would suggest that if you haven't done FF for a while, that you go back and redo the whole sequence, or you may be asking for trouble.

You may be fine just taking a frozen mallard, then a fresh mallard and going back through your hold drills so she knows how to hold the bird. It might just take her finding out that that thing will fit in there:MS:

I would try a mallard in a sequence of hold drills with very light pressure to see if she will get the hang of it. If not, you may have to start over with force fetching.

JimE
12-08-2003, 10:36 PM
If you have done FF, you should enforce it. The idea of FF is to have a tool to keep control, you loose control and the dog controlls you. Assuming you used the ear pinch method, I would go to her as soon as she refuses and command "Fetch", ear pinch, then command "Fetch" again(always sandwich commands). Hold pressure all the way back to line, and release. I would not praise until she does it correctly without re enforcement. If you praise while doing enforcement, you are sending mixed messages. Remember, bad habbits are learned, you allow them to do it, you are teaching them to do it. I would also start training with some feathers or wings tied to the bumpers, it may help her get use to the feel of feathers in her mouth. JMO, for what its worth.

fastlanelabs
12-19-2003, 07:12 AM
I would suggest that if you haven't done FF for a while, that you go back and redo the whole sequence, or you may be asking for trouble.

I'd start from the beginning with a proper training program. Beginning with hold, if thats solid, move on to FF.

Before you start over, you can make this into a game, just to get her thinking. Start throwing a bumper or a duck on the ground and as she goes to pick it up say" fetch". After a day or so, they start to associate fetch with reaching for the object. This game has helped me force fetch 4 or so dogs.

I would use a wooden dowl to FF with, using bumpers might turn her sour, you still want her to like them.

Also, until she is solid on FF, I wouldn't run her on to many marks, you might end up with problems in the field(ex: dropping, won't pick up) and you don't want to be doing your yard work in the field. There are some dogs you can run marks on well doing FF and there are some that keep giving you problems. Use your best judgment.

Good Luck.