PDA

View Full Version : Goose Marinade

Littman
12-06-2003, 12:12 PM
What do you marinade your goose meat in? I have heard everything from italian dressing to milk. Post it up....Peter

DUCKDIGGLER
12-07-2003, 09:04 AM
Peter, I really like this recipe. Its for a Tieriaki(sp) marinade it is awesome and easy. My wife loves the stuff. Here we go:

Take each breast and cut into 1/4" slices across the grain. Pound with meat mallet if an older bird.

In a large Ziploc bag combine:
1/2 cup soy sauce, I like the low salt suff
1/2 cup Tieriaki sauce
4 TB brown sugar
3 TB lemon juice
3 TB cooking oil
4 cloves of fresh garlic, pressed or minced very fine
1/4 cup red wine (sweeter stuff if you have it)

Mix up in the bag then add the goose meat. Press out all the excess air and place in frig for overnight at least, 24-36 hrs is better.

Cooking is up to you. I have grilled of open flames or have also used this in a hot cast iron skillet. Cook meat quickly searing the outside and make sure you do not cook it past med. rare. Its great served over plain white rice or wild rice as a side. Try it, you WILL LIKE IT! :cool:

Woods and Water
12-11-2003, 04:25 PM
I have a few good marinades for duck and goose that will keep the freezer clean.....

I will first clean then soak in salted water for 1-2 days then wash clean.I will cut the breast meat in half length wise on bigger birds so you get better penetration(he said penetration HeHe!!):LOL:

1 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup olive oil
juice of 2 lemons...grind rind and add as well
1 head of roasted garlic(roast in oven wrapped in foil)then squeeze out the good stuff.
3 tbs of ground black pepper
3 tbs onion powder
salt
crushed red pepper flakes to taste

I put the meat in a tupperware container and cover with marinade and let soak for 48 hrs(turn once a day).

You can either grill or pan fry and you will get similair results......

Cut-um
12-11-2003, 06:21 PM
Isn't that a fancy Italian dressing Mark ??? :OUCH: I'm just kidding...:rof: Actually "Bigredguy42" made me do it...:bang:

All kidding aside I guess it depends on your taste, I like the taste of wild game. I've taken geese that have been eating quality feed, breasted them and as Emeril would say, "Bam" right on the grill with a little Montreal Steak Seasoning. Pretty sweet stuff without a doubt...:TT: Some other birds, well,:hs: you can't marinate them long enough...:OM:

I personally like the brine or milk method for several hours, rinsing, then followed up with your favorite marinade for several more hours or overnight. I like to keep things simple so I use commercial marinades most often. Since I'm admitting to being lazy,:CZ: I will admit I use the Italian dressing sometimes but another good one is Honey Mustard dressing. Tiger Sauce is my favorite and there is the old stand by, Teriyaki adding some ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes. When I have the time and the fixins are available, I like to do as Mark does...:Bn:

The above is if I plan on grilling which I do most often, stuffing the meat with green onion, jalapeño and garlic, topping with Montreal Seasoning. If I plan on a Gumbo then I do the brine or milk thing only.

Hope this helps...:TT:

Woods and Water
12-12-2003, 12:38 PM
Cut Um you mean I dont have to do all the work....I can just buy Itallian dressing???????:CY: :GC: I forgot to add you get to drink beer during the prep and cooking time....:cool: :TT:

I have a local meat processor that will inject a goose breast with the same cure he uses on a ham and then he smokes them for us.....another good way to keep the freezer clean.

ROush #17
12-13-2003, 05:15 AM
soaking the geese in pineapple orange juice for 2 days in the fridge will take all the game out of the meat and then and a flavor to it and you got some good eating i have tried smoking and deep frying both very good. Then you have no prep time and all beer drinking time. :BZ: :cool: :cool: :VC:

VTblackfoot
12-30-2003, 02:51 PM
I have done it a number of ways, but one great way is marinade strips in buttermilk and italian dressing overnight - this is part of GanderGrinders "goose balls" recipe. DAMN GOOD EATIN' Y'ALL.

DrBob
12-31-2003, 04:57 AM
Y'all ?????????

That sounds confederate.....:JW:

I thought you were a REAL yankee there VTBlackfoot. Seasons over and you must be getting bored stupid :uh: :GM: :GC: LOL

Send me a PM if you and mike plan on coming down.:JW:

DUCKSBANE
01-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Try this one...You will like it!:Art:

Poached Goose Breast with Roasted Garlic
> Cream Sauce
>
> 4 goose breast halves with skin, boned
> 1 head of garlic
> 2 tablespoons olive oil
> Salt and pepper
> 1 teaspoon marjoram
>
> 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon dry sherry, divided
> 1 cup heavy cream
> 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
> 1 tablespoon arrowroot
> 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
>
> Rub entire head of garlic, paper and all, with a bit - of the
> olive oil,
> and place in an open roasting pan. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at
> 300°F. Remove and allow to cool. In a large saute pan over medium heat
> warm the remaining oil. Cook the goose breasts all at once, skin side
> down, moving them around with a spatula to avoid sticking or
> scorching.Turn the meat after 4 minutes. Turn once or twice more
> until uniformly
> browned on both sides, and the skin has lost most of its fat.
> Remove the
> meat to a warm platter! Season with salt, pepper, and marjoram.
> Pour off
> most of the cooking fat, leaving enough to cover the bottom of the
> pan.
> Return the seasoned meat to the pan, add a cup of sherry, and over
> verylow heat poach the meat, covered, for 20 minutes. They are
> finished at
> an internal temperature of 150°F, or when the juices run clear. Remove
> the goose pieces to a warm platter.
>
> Pop each clove of garlic out of the paper shells. In a processor puree

> the garlic, adding the cream and cayenne pepper. Reserve. Mix the
> arrowroot with a tablespoon of sherry and reserve.
>
> Reduce the remaining pan juices to a few tablespoons of frothy essence

> over high heat, scraping any loose bits from the bottom and sides.
> Reduce the heat to low, add the garlic cream mixture and allow to boil

> slightly. Continue stirring fud add the arrowroot mixture, warming the

> sauce until it thickens. Carefully add salt and pepper to taste, and
> return the goose pieces to warm in the sauce. Serve with the parsley
> sprinkled over.
>

DUCKDIGGLER
01-04-2004, 05:23 AM
Hey Dave, do you suggest a good PEACH WINE with that???:rof:

Bob Onit
01-05-2004, 03:14 PM
DD, Post up that one you gave me for the pulled goose. It was great. Thanks. :cool:

DUCKSBANE
01-05-2004, 05:24 PM
DD, Peach WHINE is for those VTer's.:GM:

honker slayer
01-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Heres one for you to try

2 table spoons sugar
3 drops tobasco
1 cup soy sauce
¼ cup liquid smoke
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 ¼ teaspoon seasoning salt
¼ teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon ground red pepper

The tobasco and the red pepper you can add more depending on how hot you like it. If you marinade it overnight it will have a better taste to it.
:TT:

Cut-um
07-11-2004, 06:23 PM
I had a couple of guys ask me about marinades and figured I'd post this back up...:hest: