PDA

View Full Version : What do you use??

huntingmarsh
12-06-2003, 08:07 PM
I've got a young 8 month old lab that doesn't like sitting in the water. I don't want to buy a vest for her because she keeps on growing and growing so I don't want to waste 40 bucks.
I've tried using light fold out chairs for her to sit on but they all seem to low to the water. I've seen the new "dog tables" they have but they seem alittle so expensive for a high schooler right now but they seem to work awsome. I've seen some tables that you can fold up to as small as a breif case that look about the right size but I would have to seem them in person to judge it. But what I need is something as high as 3 foot and light enough so it wouldn't kill me dragging it out to the walk-ins.So do you guys know of anything that I could maybe buy for cheap?? or less than a 100 dollars?? I'd appreciate the help.:hp: :hp:

Corey

Cut-um
12-06-2003, 08:36 PM
Corey, Where are you hunting??? :CF: My lab doesn't like sitting in a couple inches of water, vest or not, and you're looking for something that stands three feet tall. I can only imagine that you expect your dog to sit in water somewhere near that. I'm confused...:hs:

JK
12-06-2003, 08:44 PM
unfortunately, i cant remember the last time i saw anything associated with duck hunting that costs less than a hundred dollars. if i were you, i would start lots of yard work with your dog from platforms...any kind of platform...tree stands, pallates, pieces of carpet etc...anything. if you start now, you can teach pup to sit and kennel to anything. once you do that you can build an inexpensive platform that will be comfortable to you and your pup. ive floated a pallate which can be pulled out to your hunting spot. good luck, man.

jake

huntingmarsh
12-08-2003, 07:48 PM
We hunt in public areas where you just walkin and find a space and sometimes there isn't a island for you to use and when that happens the water is about knee deep in which your sitting in. You sometimes need a dog to get some of the ducks because of the corn and the duck diving.

The walk-ins are the only places where they hold enough ducks to keep you happy. So we don't have to much of a choice to pick for our dogs.

Corey

Cut-um
12-08-2003, 09:20 PM
How about this, making some kind of stand that when it's turned upside down it acts as a sled with floatation??? When you get to where you going you simply turn it over and you have a stand for your dog.. :hest:

Woods and Water
12-11-2003, 03:38 PM
Corey you can make a dog stand out of wood,and it isnt all that much.We used 2x4's and some 5/8 plywood for the deck and it works great.If you are hunting public land and will normally set up in a certain location just leave it there(break it down and hide it if you think someone will walk off with it).Good luck!!!!
Mark

GAChessie
12-11-2003, 08:02 PM
I use the foot part of climbing tree stands, I picked some up off a deer hunting forum and all I had to do was pay shipping for the 3, just posted an add "looking for bases of climbing stands", told them what I needed and what for and got many replies, they weigh next to nothing and most of the time I sink them below water level for next time, but we hunt all private land, they are plenty big enough and dog seems to like it.

Eric
12-18-2003, 09:00 AM
I know a young man who I've hunted with, that cut a plywood plank into a circle and mounted it on to an old innnertube. There were times that he could hunt in a little deeper water and still take his dog with him. He had an advantage in that his dog yellow lab was only about 50 lbs. Another advantage was that once he got on the water, the tube /platform weighed next to nothing. He did have to lift the dog back onto the platform after a retrieve, but he is young and the dog is not a giant.