PDA

View Full Version : Retrieving Problems?

rustygunner
12-14-2003, 10:18 AM
Question?
My 11th month old female cholab is not really interested in retrieving geese. She has been forced fetched, will pick up anything but she seems scared of geese (dead geese that is) I never sent her on a live goose yet.
Now the season is over, what type of traing should i wrik with her on this problem?:hs:

shootem
12-14-2003, 11:35 AM
What would have been best would have been to keep a couple of smaller geese and frozen them for train. Next best thing is a dead goose dokken train dummy. Force her on the dokken just like you did with the dowel or dummies or birds. A couple of times with a lot of praise should do it. Now start with short hand thrown retrieves with the dokken goose also with a lot of praise. Any refusals ear pinch to the dokken. After she is retrieving well with no refusals. Start the longer bird boy thrown retrieves or have some one shoot and throw the dokken into decoys. Hopefully this will help till you can shoot a real goose.

rustygunner
12-15-2003, 04:50 PM
I picked up some goose sent today and injected it into the dokken , it seemed to help her pick it up.:wak: :wak:

BEAR CALLER
12-15-2003, 05:56 PM
shootem has made a great point. Get a couple old geese or than goose training dummy. I have a male lab and he never really wanted to pick up geese. I believe his problem was when he was younger he had never picked up something that size. I think if you get one of these training devices ( dead bird or goose dummy) she will get on to retieving them. I started throwing dead birds about 5 feet from me in the field and encouraged him to pick them up. No pressure on him just lots of praise. Keep on her, she will get it.

Dibs
12-17-2003, 10:00 AM
If you're pup/dog will retrieve ducks, or pheasant or other birds, reliably, she/he can and WILL retrieve geese.

The biggest difference between geese and the other birds is obviously size...go back to basics and go through really basic and fun retrieving drills with various bumpers or birds, of various sizes...building your dog up to larger objects. The dokken deadfowl goose has really worked well for me turning a couple goose refusers into confident retrievers.

The other big problems are weight and grip, and the dokken or a frozen bird really helps with that also.

When you get to worrying about live cripples, your dog needs to have drive, and not hesitate and dance around large geese...square dancing dogs (with softer nerve) often get a good smack because they hesitate and these dogs then often have other issues to worry about (like not going near cripples and/or killing and devouring cripples ; ) ).

Put a goose size bumper with a couple wings tied to it on a string and get a buddy to help you out. Hold your pup back as your buddy throws out the bumper on the line a short distance away...have him dance it around...when your dog is fired up send him/her....and just before he gets to it have your buddy pull it away and not allow the dog to catch the "cripple". Pull your dog back and if he or she is REALLY worked up repeat the process, but have your buddy start to pull the bird away but allow the dog to catch and make the retrieve. Only play this game if your dog is retrieving your "big" bird bumpers, dokkens or frozens reliably.

When the dog is driving out full tilt and slamming into the bumper and getting a good grip, play some increasingly harder games to, slapping him/her with wings, lightly at first and as the dog grows to love the game a bit harder, with the wings...always letting the dog win and deliver to the owner/handler when he has a confident and correct grip on the bumper.

The last little game has really turned a couple small retrievers we've shot over into body slamming hip checking masters, with speedy grips and NO dancing! Lots of fun to watch on those cripples, and much more enjoyable than watching your hunting buddy stumbling and tripping and chasing a cripple or wasting shells while you're trying to get the next group of birds in.

Another really off the wall drill we've done with a couple young dogs whose issue was entirely the weight of geese, was to weight a small potatoe sack (increasing the weight gradually each session) until the dog was making more confident deliveries.

Dobbs sell a bumper called the jack rabbit or something, it's heavier and a bit more awkward for the dog to handle, and helps out a lot to.

Just my crazy ideas ; )

Wayne Dibbley