PDA

View Full Version : Big Goose Contest???????

Flocknocker
08-08-2000, 09:52 AM
Just for yucks lets say we had a big goose contest. How many of you and your buds would sign up? Would we want to have a sign up fee of a buck or two?? All the money not used for postage to mail out regisration forums could be sent to DU and or Delta? Would we need to have big prizes or do it for small prizes like a couple calls or stuff like that?? Would we just do it for pride?? A few of the moderators just won't leave me alone on this, so I told them I would post this up and see what came out of it. Tell me how you see it, and how you would like to see it done, if it is done. What rules would like to see? Speak up now before it gets to late. Thanks in advance.
Cliff

------------------
Flocknocker
"We're All About Geese"

puddlejumper
08-08-2000, 11:05 AM
Cliff, I'm just as excited as the next guy about a big goose contest, but I have a feeling that it would be ONE MAJOR PAIN IN THE ASS to keep it all straight! Entry forms, weight certifications, pictures, collecting the money, etc. - seems like a lot of work. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a contest or something with the extra proceeds going to DU or Delta, but this place just got started and we need all hands to get it going!! If someone else (besides flocknocker) wanted to take the reigns and handle the entire contest, that would be fine, but I don't think it should be Cliff's responsibility right now - he's got his hands full!

How about a raffle or picture contest or something like that? Just my .02...

------------------
Belly-up & feet danglin'...
puddlejumper

Goldeneye
08-08-2000, 11:58 AM
I think it's a great idea. And so what if there is no actual prize. Bragging rights are everything. HEHEHE! I'm in!!!

Goldeneye

Goose Hunter
08-08-2000, 02:14 PM
I'm with puddlejumper, to much work for you Cliff! And the rules would be real stuff to enforce. If this contest really happened, you can bet I'll be stuffing some fishing weights down those little lesser geese, hehehe just kidding http://64.176.94.12/ubb/smile.gif

Your right, it would be cool though, I think the biggest goose should win some calls or something, and give something to the top 5 biggies.

My $0.02 Canadian cents.

------------------
Eat, Sleep, Hunt, & work on flocknocker's GREAT LOOKING website.

MN (Strait) Meat
08-08-2000, 03:03 PM
How about a smallest goose contest for us guys in MN that hunt the EPP geese?

Coho
08-08-2000, 03:08 PM
Maybe a Big Goose page where guys could post pictures of big birds then have a drawing or you judge best picture at the end of the season for a call or something.

Cliff if your cup is full just go with PJs idea.

Duckenator
08-08-2000, 03:29 PM
The picture itself could be used to judge the relative size of each goose. Use an object that would be the same size for everyone, say a yard stick. Make sure that everyone puts one in the picture of their goose if they want it judged. Then at the end of the season the biggest goose wins!!!

BRANTA
08-08-2000, 03:31 PM
I think this would be fun. As long as the wieghts or measurements are correct. Maybe with wing span and length(tail to tip of bill) measurments included. I have seen alot of scales that were way off. But a photo of measurements would be consistent. How about girth of bird included? Just a suggestion. And if it were fair I would be willing to add to the pot. I have heard guys talk about some honkzilla sized birds now they can prove it. http://64.176.94.12/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
"Why take-em tall when you can finish them"

Heavy Gougin'
08-08-2000, 05:43 PM
I'm definitely in! I would run on a picture bases. I like the yard stick idea. I also think you could have a site just for the contest so each hunter can post his/her picture, then at the end of the year let the entire forum vote on them. It would be fair and fun to see everyone's pictures. I don't care if their are prizes or not.
Good luck!!!

Joe
08-08-2000, 05:59 PM
I would be interested, I agree that it would be a little dificult to keep it all strait but with ennough helpers it would be ok. If you need help just let me know cliff. I also like the idea of donating to money to DU or Delta. Also as a prize it could just say like Big Goose winner or soething like that in the left margin under the persons name when they post a message

Ben-IA
08-08-2000, 06:41 PM
I like the sounds of this contest cliff!! I shot a goose this day that weighed very close to 16lbs. Its the one laying on the ground.
Ben
http://www.duckcalls.net/waples4.jpg

[This message has been edited by Ben-IA (edited 08-08-2000).]

Skeet in NZ
08-09-2000, 02:34 AM
Cliff I like the idea and had my geese that were shot in my season weight and snapshot taken for the last one. (you know the one).

I like Joes idea about the BIG GOOSE winner posted under the persons name. That gives the person bragging rights for 12 months hehe.

But at this point could it be too much on your plate at one time. Perhaps this year go with the ideas of a picture posting with us from the forum judging or see if some one else could take it on for you this year.

Prizes are ok but bragging rights are better, cause I love to brag as you know. http://64.176.94.12/ubb/tongue.gif I have no problems with a donation even if it supports your DU or Delta. And when you think of it just one lonely Kiwi in here as it seems at the moment can you please tell me what Delta is? I know what DU is as we have it here.

------------------
Skeet in NZ

Bill Collector
08-09-2000, 03:42 PM
I think Skeet came up with a winner. Let's just post pics (hopefully good ones) for this season, then in the dead of winter when no one even wants to ice fish, we could devise a plan for the contest.

Skeet -
Delta is a great organization that was founded a long, long time ago. The year escapes me at this point. Their basic mission is to provide scholarships for Wildlife Management Students in College to study Wetland and Waterfowl management. They also have a program called Voluntary Restraint in which the members of this program attempt to avoid shooting Hen ducks, especially Mallards. We could debate the merits of this program, but then again, we can beat dead horses too! (personally, I like it).

NR

------------------
Bill Collector

I collect bluebills, ringbills, spoonbills or any fowl with a bill!

Flocknocker
08-10-2000, 11:44 PM
Is this all that is interested????

------------------
Flocknocker
"We're All About Geese"

shootem
08-11-2000, 06:00 AM
Nope! I am interested. I have been on several team goose hunts put on by our gun club they were a lot of fun. Some day I will tell ya how that worked. I would love to see pictures of every one, prizes would be nice. Every one that sent in a picture their name
goes into a drawing and the prize awarded by random pick. You could have an entry fee. You could charge the other flyways other than the north central a fee to see what BIG geese look like, hehe.

Flocknocker
08-11-2000, 08:08 AM
AHHHHH Shootem knows how to intresrt me see. He is trying to get my competitive juices going, hehe. Ok it worked, I will go talk to the moderartors and see what we can come up with.

------------------
Flocknocker
"We're All About Geese"

Sprig
08-11-2000, 11:16 AM
Sounds good to me if you could keep it somewhat organized. However, it's not very fair to those in Tri-cities (Branta). Those squeeks don't add up to much.