PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and goose hunting?

10gaDago
08-09-2000, 12:00 AM
Just curious how many of you use dogs for retrieving the geese? I guess they would need to be trained to be dead still untill sent. I have a yellow lab that is a real fire ball of a duck retriever but haven't had her get a goose yet. Just wondering?

BaRtMaN
08-09-2000, 02:43 AM
almost every goose hunt I go on my dog goes too. she is very good but, I started training her the minute I got her. she lays under a carry-lite super mag shell until I send her. I just started by making her lay down outside and putting the decoy over her and making her stay then after a few days I started to play fetch using the cap gun and the dead fowl trainer and goose call. (my neighbors think I am an idiot) but, it works i would blow the goose call shoot the pistol and throw the deadfowl trainer and then tell her FETCH. and praise her. it took like 5 days and I was done. now when I get out the decoys she gets excited and wants to hunt. good luck http://64.176.94.12/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
"TAKE'EM" BaRtMaN

goosejuicer
08-09-2000, 04:30 AM
We take our yellow lab out on goose das as well. I love watching the big dog taking on the big birds. They do have to learn to be still. We usually throw a camo cover over the dogs body, allowing him to watch the action. The one day we didn't bring him last year, it cost us! We had two cripples walking out of the field and had to chase them down ourselves. While out on our mission, two more flocks landed in our dekes.That won't happen again.

Bill Collector
08-09-2000, 03:37 PM
Hey Bartman,
I really like that idea. Did you build something for the deke to sit on, or does the dog curl up inside the deke or what? I was wondering if the dog gets to see the geese come in and mark falls, etc.
NR

------------------
Bill Collector

I collect bluebills, ringbills, spoonbills or any fowl with a bill!

Go4Ducks2
08-09-2000, 04:07 PM
I trained my lab to lay on a foam mat, you can buy em in the catalogs or if your like me just cut the wifes up to size(the one she uses in the pool). They are soft and flexible and gives the dog something to lay on besides the the mud, snow,etc. I use it in the field, pit, boat and he knows thats where he is suppose to be and sit still when we are calling until he gets the nod to go.

------------------
Goose huntin' is the best but I Go4Ducks2 (http://sites.outdoorsite.com/outdoors/go4ducks2)

BaRtMaN
08-10-2000, 02:41 AM
Bill Collector I use a carry-lite super magnum decoy and my dog lays with her nose and coming out of the goose's butt they are open in the back and she can see very well.

------------------
"TAKE'EM" BaRtMaN