PDA

View Full Version : Foiles vrs Saunders

buckduck
08-09-2000, 10:57 AM
What are the differences in the two calls.

------------------
Appose gun control.It`s hard to hit ducks with rocks

wyfarrell
08-09-2000, 12:35 PM
Foiles vs. Saunders-
Sounds like a wrassling match. I'll take Bill, he's a big dude.

Flocknocker
08-09-2000, 12:41 PM
Buckduck they are great calls all of them. I will try my best to answer you questions. This is only my opinion as I own all the calls I will speak of. Jeffs call is a great call for sure and will go high to low but you have to be able to do the sounds needed to get there. Bills Delrin Guides series has a very low tone to it already so making low goosey sounds is easy.Then he has the Acrylic wich is higher in tone but like Jeff's you can get high or low if you work at it. Then Bill has the Traffic call, that is a small call that is super fast and easy to do flock talk on, and is on the high side like a lessor. You can also make it lower if you work at it. They are all great calls so I guess it is just what you need it for that will make the difference in what you get. I don't know if I helped you but you can hear Bill's wave files at www.flocknocker.com (http://www.flocknocker.com) then go to calls then to Saunders calls. Click on the sound file and it will load so you have to wait for a while. Jeff and Fred were going to send theirs also but I don't guess they have sent them yet. Hope this helps

------------------
Flocknocker
"We're All About Geese"

Go4Ducks2
08-09-2000, 02:55 PM
I kinda had a time finding those wave files...its easier if you go to the main page then click on products, then goose calls and there they are. Takes a minute but its worth it.

------------------
Goose huntin' is the best but I Go4Ducks2 (http://sites.outdoorsite.com/outdoors/go4ducks2)

buck_master_2001
08-09-2000, 08:29 PM
I am not sure of the difference but I do think the Foiles is for the person who has had a little experiance with a short reed.I just got my Saunders and I can tell u that if u are a beginner or have trouble getting GOOSE sounds out of a short reed like the half breed the Saunders is a greta call.It sounds VERY good and was easy for me to start calling on.They are both good calls.I have never heard a Foiles but I can tell u the Saunders is one hell of a goose call!!

ANSER
08-09-2000, 08:56 PM
I own two of Bill's calls and can tell you that they are the easiest and best sounding calls I've blown. Allot of the guides in the Pacific Northwest are going to the Guide Series Calls. You won't find a delrin goose call (not very many call makers have a delrin call to offer) anywhere that sounds this good for the price. A goose call doesn't have to be hard to blow for it to sound or work well. This call will make an average caller good and a good caller great. The sounds-waves sound great but they don't do the call justice.

buckduck
08-10-2000, 02:56 AM
If it sounds better than the call wave I better buy one.I thought the sound wave sounded pretty good. Is that a wood or acyrlic call.

------------------
Appose gun control.It`s hard to hit ducks with rocks

buck_master_2001
08-10-2000, 04:18 AM
The sound wave was a Delrin(Plastic) guides series.It is stronger than acrylic.

GP101
10-09-2001, 01:46 PM
my votes for saunders

Go4Ducks2
10-09-2001, 05:15 PM
Gp, man you found an old post! My vote is to have em all!

Matt Porter
10-09-2001, 08:28 PM
I have blown both calls, the difference in the ones that I tried are these.
The Saunders calls, while being easy to blow, lacked the low to high range and volume found in the Foiles SMH.
Just my opinion.

Matt

goose pit
10-09-2001, 08:57 PM
Cliff how dare you SPAM on this site? BBBBWWWWAAAAAHHHHAAAAAAA! Just kiddin Cliff, couldn't resist :D

Dave Smith
10-09-2001, 11:27 PM
well since the question was "what are the differences in the two calls"? I would say that the main difference is the inner diameter of the handpiece- it is very small on Foiles and very large on all Saunders- ofcourse there are other differences but this is the main one. The smaller diameter on the Foiles makes it take very little air pressure to blow. On the Saunders it's larger for VOLLLLLUME and that it has. It is also easy to blow but can be tuned to fit any style or skill/strength level. They are both great calls.

sarjo
10-10-2001, 09:41 AM
I've got both. The Saunders is the guide series. To me the Saunders sounds alot more like a goose, but the Foiles is a little louder and a little faster. Both are real easy to blow but the Saunders is my first choose, espiecally over water. But what do I know.

widgeon
10-10-2001, 10:27 AM
I have herd 20 different foiles calls and NONE!!! of them I have ever herd are louder than a Saunders. The Stahl is geting right there close but no way is a SMH louder than a Saunders traffic or GP. Now a delrin guides series yes it is not as loud as a traffic but it is still as loud as foiles. I am not saying loud is every thing and the SMH is a good call and is user friendly more so than a Saunders. I feel both have good points but dont be misled by any one saying that a SMH is louder. Any one that is seasoned on a short reed can get both calls to go LOW to HIGH it is simple back preasure and hand controll. Dave is corect on his statement too. Differences are in the inside as well as the out side. Thats the facts JACK. Dusty Brown......

Flocknocker
10-10-2001, 10:47 AM
Now I am in trouble for selling wave files and giving directions to them, hehehehe. I have been said to have done way worse lately but not by anyone that counts!!!!

Matt we all know you blow the Foiles calls and you are on his Pro Staff. Which you should be, you have do well on stage, and that speaks for itself. And I also know you own Porters Hunt Club. So please don't take this as a slam on you, Jeff, or his calls or contest callers, or what ever, hehehe. I have been having some trouble with folks not understanding what I am trying to say lately.

On the other hand my opinion comes from years in the field because I am not good enough to be on stage or be on a call makers Pro Staff, but it is my opinion none the less.

I am here to tell ya there is no way Jeff's call is louder than the Saunders calls I have and I have them all. Both the Traffic and Guide Series calls were as loud as the SMH with the Traffic being louder than the SMH. This is not just my opinion but was done on a sound meter at 20 feet. And the GP is louder yet but never tested it yet on the meter, but I can tell it is louder. All of these calls were tuned by me and there again I am no Pro, so that may have something to do with it.

Both are good calls and guys have likes and dislikes of them both, and I have no problem with that. Different strokes for different folks is what makes the world go around.

Just thought I would share some info since I had Greg Keats Meter and tested all the calls I have including his.

Man this is an old post looks like only a few days after we opened. Wow 101 you found an old one for sure!!!

Just a side note I never tested the Limited edition SMH Shawn had because the call was not out then. But I know for me with the more opened insert that call was louder for me than the standard SMH. Maybe I will get Greg's Meter again and try em all again.

GP101
10-10-2001, 10:55 AM
flocknocker

yeah it was an old one i was looking back there for like fot tips on hunting and stuff. And when i replied i didnt know it would come to the first page. Sorry for bringin up old stuff.

Honk em

buckduck
10-10-2001, 02:44 PM
Since I ask the question i have had the chance to try a folies.Now it could have just been me or my style of calling and the same with folies rep who also blew it but and it`s just my opinion it didn`t seem quite as varsitle as some of the other calls.I don`t mean to take anything away from the call,it is a great sounding call.I have heard the bored out one or a little better yet.I have a GK a GP and a Delrin. All great calls.I like the GK the best,It seems to suit my stile of calling better.I blew a Ken Martin for years but never went to a flute.I think this may have been of help when I went to a short reed because most of them blow quite simular to the Martin and just have a greater high to low range. To each his own. :D

BeenGoosed2
10-10-2001, 02:53 PM
When is Bill's calls going to make it to the Midwest?

I can't see spending that type of money on a call that I can't blow first. That is why I have a foiles --- took me awhile to find it, but of those that I have blown, it seems to be right for me.

However, I still want to try Bill's calls.

Flocknocker
10-10-2001, 03:29 PM
Bill is getting some dealers in the mid west and I know he will be at the worlds this year. I don't know about the Avery. There are guys all over the world with the calls so you should be able to see them some where. I know Mac's carries them if you ever get around there.

Cory Hamrick
10-11-2001, 10:49 AM
I've blown both Saunders and Foiles and to say that Saunders doesn't have the low and high end or volume that the SMH is crazy. Anybody who has blown the Saunders Traffic or GP knows that they are goosier.

Jon Barta
10-11-2001, 11:04 AM
BG2, they are starting to show up in our neck of the woods slowly but surely. Right nw the only guy I know who sells them in NE is a man buy the name of Alex legg. I dont have his number right off hand but he runs A+S waterfowl supply out of North Bend Ne. I know thats still a ways away from you but there getting closer.

Matt Porter
10-12-2001, 09:49 AM
To Cory Hamrick,
The person who posted this question was asking for opinions from people who had used both calls.
I gave my opinion. (Which by virtue of my expereience, I am qualified to do) I make my living hunting geese, and my hobby is competitive calling.
I am not "crazy" as you stated anyone must be if they dis agree with your (qualified?)opinion.
I stand by my assessment that The Foiles SMH is both louder, and has a broader low to high range than a saunders call (I have tried them all except the Pimp), and in addition, the SMH is goosier too.
Sorry if this ruffles the feathers of any of the west coast boys here, but opinions are like ^%$&$*&@.......you know the rest.
Cliff,
I blow the goose calls I use because I think they are the best in the field, AND will give me the best chance of winning in contests. If I thought that Saunders (or anyone elses call) were better, I would blow them...OOOPS that doesn't sound right. I would use their calls.
My opinion cannot be bought, and nobody tells me what to say.
I only use or endorse products that I hunt with.
Ther are a lot of whores in this biz, but I am not one of them.
Matt
P.s.Glad you got the forum up again,

widgeon
10-12-2001, 10:11 AM
Ok, Matt, so what you are saying is that you can blow a SMH louder than you can a traffic? That has verry little to do with the a level of noise a call can produce. To me... an opinon backed by proof " call metter" becomes a mater of fact. Saying a specific call has or does not have a good transition from high to low is opion so I will give you that one. Some people feel some calls are easier to blow than others. But you are beating a dead horse with the VOLUME of the two calls. I doubt any one would disagree with me on this. I respect your knowledge of killin geese but you cant say that a stock SMH is louder than a stock traffic. A decible metter cant lie. Looking forward to meeting you in Easton. And yes I am a Saunders Whore!!! But my best friend is SMH pro staff. So... I am not too bias.

Dusty Brown.

Dave Smith
10-12-2001, 10:12 AM
Matt- I would be the first to tell you that you would be crazy if you were willing to blow anyone who makes a goosier call. Lucky you caught that because I was getting ready to pounce. hehe
Pro-staffs are kind of a funny thing- you get paid to say what you would say anyway about the product you love- then people suspect bias because your on the pro-staff!!

Matt Porter
10-12-2001, 11:26 AM
Dusty,
L look forward to meeting you some time. I don't know if I will go to the World this year.
That weekend is our 2nd goose opener, and with such a short season this year, I may have to stay & take care of business.

Volume depends on how a call is tuned.
My opinion was based on the calls that I tried.
Foiles calls are tuned easy to blow when you buy one , so that anyone can make it "break", but very few of us who make a living with a call, blow calls that are tuned this easy.

I don't know about this sound meter, and whether the calls are blown mechanically, or by mouth, as this would influence the outcome, and I don't know how both calls were tuned, as this would also greatly effect the results of such a test.

dave,
truth be told, I don't get paid a dime to be on any pro-staff. I have had some offers, but there was never any money involved.
It's kind of a funny thing, in this business, there are a lot of guys who are doing things for free, so why would sponsors pay if they don't have to.
The fishing industry used to be the same way, until a few guys just said NO! to endorsement offers that did not include cash.
I know very few people that actually get paid dollars for pro-staff deals in the waterfowl world.
Who knows, maybe this will change someday.
Matt

Marcus Flesher
10-12-2001, 12:33 PM
Opinions Opinions Opinions, aren't they great.Well here's another. I have used the Foils Straight Meat Honker and I would have to say that there is no way that I can make that call louder than the Saunders Traffic or the GP. Yes Matt, tunning the call differently will change how hard the reed hit the tone board and how much volume of air is needed to make the call break over. Thats a given, but don't forget that the way a call is designed is truely the largest factor in how load it is. Length, Hand peice diamiter, barrel diamiter so on and so forth. I'm sure you know as well as the rest of us that one person can make a call do certian things that another can not. Different styles of calling and air controle. But when the question is asked "what are the differences between one call or the other or what are the ups and the downs between the two." Then the answer is pretty simple. Your reply should have been something like mine. I Use a suanders becuase I can make the call go from low to high and it sound more goosy when I blow it. I have never had any problems with it and don't think I ever will. I just can't get the same results from a Foils Straight Meat Honker.
Pretty straight forward but I left the door open for the person asking the question to make up his or her own mind. Just my two cents.

Cory Hamrick
10-12-2001, 01:11 PM
Matt,

I was probably a little quick to react and you are entitled to your opinion just as we are. You do this for a living and you know what products work or sound better for you. But being another Saunders whore, I had to say what I did because that is my opinion on the calls, and we too put a lot of days in the field and are experiencd callers.

So I will leave it as you have your opinion and I have mine.

Tim Bates
10-18-2001, 10:39 AM
All of saunders calls, and foiles calls are some of the best out there. I personally prefer saunders calls but that is what i am use to. It's hard to say which ones are better because i know people kill just as many geese with Foiles as Saunders.

"Kill em All"

goose pit
10-18-2001, 11:02 AM
Funny, I always thought being on a pro-staff means you get to use the product for free. Well if this is the case, then you have to be a little bias. I could be wrong it has happend before :D

buckduck
10-18-2001, 11:30 AM
Boy,I sure stured up the crap with such a simple question.Matt do you use a folies off the shelf so to speak or has it been bored out.You know it`s really hard for me to totaly judge a call just by blowing it one time at a show.I like to take it home and get to know it a little.Kind of like a new woman.hehe You discover it`s little qurcks that make it really turn on and reach it`s top perfomance. :D

Flocknocker
10-18-2001, 01:35 PM
Hey guys nice to see you are all playing nice, hehehehe. Opinions are great and if we were all in a bar having our favorite drink (Which none of us would agree on either) we would have great fun with this subject. I say blow what you blow well, and in some cases that is a goose call, hehehe. But when someone makes a statement as if it were fact and I know different I will say so. There was not meant to be a shot at anyone just my knowledge and opinion.

I am glad we can agree to disagree. Hell if we all did it the same way life would be boring.

Matt I wish I would have seen your post sooner I would have had some fun with that one, hehehe.
Judge the hunt in the hunter not the call around his neck.

Cliff

gw-smith
10-18-2001, 02:17 PM
Personally I think my Keats Voodoo is the loudest call I own with the Traffic right behind. For a "deep - goosey" sounding call the original Saunders Guide Series is great (along with the GK or Short Story). I personally have owned several SMH's at one time or another and just didn't sound very good on them (although I certainly have heard other guys that do sound good on them).

Also - if anybody in the Midwest wants to try out a Saunders call let me know. I have 2 Guide Series calls and a Traffic. I'd be more than happy to let anybody from this forum blow them.

Goosecal
10-19-2001, 03:55 PM
I agree with Matt. Bottom line is what call is better for you. Everybody prob. blows a call a little different in some way or another. Which call has won more contests? I myself have never blown a Saunders call. I believe he uses Knight and Hale guts. Jeff uses his own guts. Saying this there has to be some differenc somewhere in the sound thats forsure.

juniorhoss
10-19-2001, 06:13 PM
For what it's worth, I have owned both a SMH, and a Saunders delrin. The delrin is by far more suited to my style of calling than the SMH. I just could not get that call to sound good no matter how I tuned it, or how I blew it. There is no doubt (in my mind) that delrin is the goosiest call I have ever heard. It has unreal low end to it, but can be louder if needed. But, If I want to wail on a call, my half-breeds are 3 times as loud as my delrin, but who wants to blow that loud at birds at 40 yards?

SO, everyone has their opinion on the *best* call made, but let it be said that the very best call in the world is the one you always reach for first on your lanyard, and the one you can call with the best. Because if you aren't good with a call, then it's just another junk p.o.s piece of wood, acrylic etc......

Matt Porter
10-20-2001, 06:06 PM
bUCKDUCK,
I do not blow a call tuned as they are for sale off the rack.
I do blow a "stock" strait meat honker.
(The exhaust barrel is not bored out)
I also never blow as loud as I can at geese (or in contests) All calls lose their tone quality when they get too loud. Volume is important, up to a point, but a goosey sound, and knowing when to blow what notes are far more important.
It's interesting how guys from different geographic regions favor different calls.
Matt

buckduck
10-20-2001, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the responce Matt. You know this has turned out to be a little like listening to Fox new report on Anthrax.I think I have learned more than I really ever wanted to about the subject.hehehhehe I do agree goose sound is what is the most important and who really gives a rats butt whick call is the loudest.All the above mentioned calls are great calls and from there it`s a matter of personal style and preferance. :D ;)

ganderman
10-22-2001, 06:33 PM
I will extend the same offer as GW-Smith. Anyone who wants to try out my Saunders Goose Pimp is welcome. My season doesn't start again for another two weeks. I won't guarantee that I will just ship it out to anyone as it is an expensive call but I would certainly meet somebody somewhere halfway to shoot the shit and blow some calls!! I've had a pretty good time with some of you guys I've run into from the forum.

Just shoot me an e-mail if interested.

Hey Matt, I'll let you blow the call if you give me a free hunt!!! hehehe!!!

ganderman

Matt Porter
10-22-2001, 10:13 PM
Ganderman,
No thanks.
Matt