PDA

View Full Version : Getting a pup

Bob Onit
12-28-2003, 04:55 PM
Im thinking of getting a puppy. The problem is I dont know what is better. Male or female. black, yellow or chocolate. I mainly goose hunt fields but Im getting into duck hunting and see a need for the dog. Any suggestions?:hp:

shootem
12-29-2003, 08:35 AM
My opinion, black male. But I also tell a lot of people don't let sex or color be a deciding factor. Do your research and find a litter that both parents have all they clearances, hip elbow and eye. Both parents should be titled the male ****** hunter or higher. Female should be Senior hunter or higher. Take your time look at a lot of litters, ASK QUESTIONS.

motherplucker
12-29-2003, 09:01 AM
BoB-o if bones dog gave you wood and you want one now don't hold your breath thats a really good dog and hard to find one like that. In 8 years i have had 3 dogs none come close to his. lots of work and maybe the dog mite have it in them.GOOD LUCK

DUCKSBANE
12-29-2003, 07:02 PM
I have bought only dogs with sires that have a national title and the bitch with atleast a ****** title. It may be a bit more expensive but, you are talking about a 12 year investment of either pleasure or PAIN! I think it increases your odds of having a great dog. So far, I have been very lucky with my dogs. I prefer black labs as I have seen more good blacks than yellows and choclates but then again there are more blacks out there than the later. I have always prefered females but they tend to be a bit small to handle geese well on land. Hope that helps. Its always a crap shoot no matter what you decide unless, you buy a started dog.
Good luck!
Dave

Bob Onit
12-30-2003, 06:05 AM
Thanks for your input guys. Im leaning towards a chocolate female. I think the color blends better.:cool:

V BOARD
12-30-2003, 03:44 PM
Amen DUCKSBANE....I was given a started dog due to a family member dying and he was super!!I now have a yellow female that I got in Canada and she is doing well(9 months old now) but when training a new dog you got to have alot of paitence.When I take her out I usually go by myself for awhile or with another person who dosen't start giving MY dog commands and is also understanding that the dog is new at this game.In any case do your research on the parents etc....just my two cents.
:wak:

Bail
01-18-2004, 02:14 PM
They have chessies in that color as well. They are great dogs.

Labber
01-18-2004, 04:38 PM
At the risk of P/O a few people, if you are looking for a goose retriever, males will likely be bigger and handle geese more easily.
Buy nothing less than a pup sired by a Field Champion. They aren't always more expensive than average, but they are likely to be easier to train.

Woods and Water
01-22-2004, 04:52 PM
IMO no matter what you choose make sure you get a reputable breeder(ofa,eye cerf,hips/elbows)always nice to have a nice idea what your getting.