PDA

View Full Version : I was wrong - DD and Keith McGowan were right!

Bones
01-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Was lucky to hunt with DD , Bob onit and another regular today for the close of their CT goose season - in the morning before the hunt - DD said that he had used the Silo trick Keith had showed us earlier in the week while we were on a guided hunt with him(Keith).. yesterday with success and was going to use it again today. Wasn't as confident as DD was - I thought we should go to full bodies as we had previously done!
Well using the Paperboy carrier trick to put out the silo's - spreading them father apart than usuall - and trying some finesse/softer calling we had our 4 man limit pretty darn quick - it was amazing how despite the fog - the geese suckered into a "New" look for the field. The birds lighted right into the more spread out silo's - for close in your face/easy shooting (ok for 3 of us - Sorry Bob!). :OUCH:
I am going to be a man and admit - DD you were Right!:pl: It worked like a charm!
Have to say - the trip with Keith has already paid for itself in tips and "lessons" that made a somewhat difficult day into success!
After hunting with "Has-Been" like Keith for 2 days - I can't imagine next year when we come down to hunt with Kevin Popo what we'll learn!:tn: :tn:
Thanks again DD and crew for another awesome hunt - Lyddie thanks you too - no cripples to retrieve as usuall!
Bones:wak: :wak:
(missed you MP,WFK and BDB!!!)

Bob Onit
01-03-2004, 04:17 PM
:cool:Did you have to use my name? Just wanted you to get some shooting in. :cool:

Bones
01-03-2004, 04:39 PM
No problem Bob:cool: and most important - I didn't get in trouble with the wife!BWAHAAAAAAAA!
Bones

Bob Onit
01-03-2004, 04:41 PM
:cool: Things are calming down here also.:cool:

DUCKDIGGLER
01-03-2004, 04:50 PM
My wife yelled at me !!!..............Yeah right!! :rof:

Thanks for the compliment Bones but I owe all th ecredit to the gudied hunt with Keith McGowan!! Hunting with him was like getting a crash course in hunting honkers, man he knows his stuff!! He made killin tough birds look easy, talk anbout a "has been" well you should have heard this has been call, pure smoke. It was awesome ! But the credit for the rig goes to Mr. McGowan!!

You da man Keith!!

I wish I dropped the hammer on that Necker!! What an a-hole I am!! Thats gonna bother me for a while! Next time its screw you guys and I'm shootin!!:tn:

Mike B
01-03-2004, 06:28 PM
I needed that silo trick this morning, birds were tough to decoy.
:PO:

Glad to see it end with a bang.

:wak:
Mike

DUCKDIGGLER
01-04-2004, 06:37 AM
Mike it ended with about 8 BANGS!! LOL Everyone shot lights out!! Hell Harvester only shot once, 1 shell 2 honks. He says that the Hevi Shot is too expensive to be using a shell for EACH bird!!:OUCH:

kadd
01-07-2004, 08:11 AM
What exactly did Keith show you? How far apart and how many silly's did you have out?

Thanks

DUCKSBANE
01-07-2004, 09:18 AM
Yeah Bones.. stop blowing DD and put up the facts!!:GM:

Keith McGowan
01-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Looks like you gotta book a hunt to find out:GM:

Main thing passed on is that most people put their sillies too close together for best results. 3, yes 3, full strides between each decoy and birds will try to light in em, Had to prove it to Popo again today, he just wouldnt listen and HAD to put out the footers. still had birds trying to light in the Real-Geese. Had one land and wouldnt get up until we got within 8 feet of him.

More tricks to follow.

KEith

Bones
01-07-2004, 02:58 PM
AAAWWWWW Bane, ya big lug......now ya making me feel special!:tn: :tn:
Bones:VC:

DUCKDIGGLER
01-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Yeah!! What Keith said!!!

I'll tell you boys what it has renewed my interests in the use of sillys in my rig! Good thing cause we have 31 dozen of them bad boys to use!!:OUCH:

MuddyWaters
01-09-2004, 05:35 PM
I just wanted to hop on to say hi to Bones, Duckdiggler, and Keith. We hunted together in NJ in December. I must agree with Duckdiggler, Keith does know his geese. I learned plenty in the short time in the field.

DUCKDIGGLER
01-09-2004, 06:41 PM
Welcome aboard CJ, glad to see you made it!! I hope you enjoy the site as much as we all do!! Hows the huntin been down there??:cool:

MuddyWaters
01-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Did great over the holiday vacation. Got on a couple of flocks a couple days in a row and hit them pretty hard. How about for you?

DUCKDIGGLER
01-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Had a great mixed bag shoot today, Geese, Brant, mallards, blacks, gadwall, and buffleheads. Can't complain about variety like that! :Rich:

MuddyWaters
01-09-2004, 07:22 PM
I am lucky if i shoot that kind of variety in an entire season. We just got another flight of ducks down. Tommorrow is the last day. We're going to go break some ice, and give it a try.

DUCKDIGGLER
01-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Good luck! Be safe and tell us how you do!:uh:

MuddyWaters
01-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Will do, you do the same.

DUCKDIGGLER
01-11-2004, 08:02 AM
Muddy, how'd you fellas make out??:hs:

MuddyWaters
01-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Duck, we did really well on Saturday. We got just about our limit in Mallards and Black Ducks. Had to pack it up early due to the ice, but it was fun while it lasted. How about you?

DUCKDIGGLER
01-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Did not hunt on saturday:NW: !! I hopre to get out this week though. C'mon cold weather!! Keep in touch brother!:uh: