PDA

View Full Version : Columbia, Cabela's, or Herters...

puddlejumper
08-10-2000, 07:41 AM
OK, my 5 year wedding anniversary is tomorrow, and I'm buying my wife some jewelry. I told her that I don't want no "fluffy" anniversary gift (like jewelry) from her, I want something hunting related (of course)! I've been looking at getting a new 4-in-1 waterfowl jacket for about a year, and I'm leaning toward the Columbia Widgeon in Shadow Grass or Break-up. BTW, I tried pushing for a new Beretta UL391 Urika Autoloader, but I guess I'll have to wait for the 10-year - bummer.

Now I know this topic might have been covered several time already on older forums, but indulge me anyway - please! What are your guys experiences with these 4-in-1 systems and which one do you prefer? I was also looking at the Cabela's Abush 2000 Goretex or the Herter's Fowltech. I need a coat I can wear with waders a lot, and that is ABSOLUTELY WATERPROOF.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

------------------
Belly-up & feet danglin'...
puddlejumper

[This message has been edited by puddlejumper (edited 08-10-2000).]

Cascade_Cat
08-10-2000, 08:27 AM
PJ

All I have to say is don't go cheap. I have had my coat for 6 years and it is still in perfect shape only problem with it is that I am no longer 19 and I am not in perfect shape any more. I guess I had a few to many stops at the tavern on the way home to tell everyone how warm I was in the coat.

Heavy Gougin'
08-10-2000, 11:26 AM
I would either go with the Columbia or the Ambush 2000 by Cabela's. The columbia is as good as it gets however, Cabela's is nearly identical and they are EXCELLENT about returning stuff. I currently own a quad parka but am going to buy Cabela's from here on out because of their outstanding customer service. Even if it is a couple years old, they will take it!

More power is better
SP-10

Coho
08-10-2000, 01:09 PM
Wish my wife would do that... I've always wanted a Columbia. They are guarenteed forever. Some guys have had coats for years and they started to leak, called Columbia, sent in coat and recieved NEW ones. Good luck! Guess your a luck SOB too. http://64.176.94.12/ubb/biggrin.gif

buckduck
08-10-2000, 02:15 PM
I have delt with cabelas and others over the years.I have to go with cabelas.They have a no hassel return policy where they just send you your money back if your not satisfied.Bass pro gives a gift certificate whick I think sucks.I don`t know about herters.I have sent several things back to cabelas over the years.and they made it as painless as possible.Columbia is the only way to go.For using waders i`d go with the widgeon.I sent a columbia waterfowl parka back to them this spring I bought in 1983.They sent me a new one at no cost and even gave me the choice of camo pattern i wanted.As for pattern just match the type of cover you hunt the most.Both patterns you mentioned are good.The four in one is a good selection.

------------------
Appose gun control.It`s hard to hit ducks with rocks

Go4Ducks2
08-10-2000, 07:00 PM
Colombia all the way. I only know one guy who has problems with Cabela's coat and I have never had a problem with anything I ordered. I have the widgeon parka, its worth the money, but the Cabela's may be just as good.
Never had any leaks the last 5 years.

------------------
Goose huntin' is the best but I Go4Ducks2 (http://sites.outdoorsite.com/outdoors/go4ducks2)

wingfeather
08-10-2000, 07:08 PM
Buy the columbia buy far the best coat out there hands down.

BBogey
08-11-2000, 12:40 AM
I've only had it for one season, but the Herter's 4 in 1 sure seemed like a nice parka for me last year? And yes, it was on the cheaper side compared to some.

------------------
Dare to be Different!

woodrow
08-11-2000, 12:30 PM
Only ever bought from cabelas never had a reason to buy from someone else,been huntin with one of there waterfowling jackets for 6years no problems I hunt waterfowl 60 days a season. There customer service is the best i've ever delt with.To give an example I ordered a scope for a rifle from them and it was defective so I sent it back, they informed me that the scope was then out of stock so they upgraded to the better one above it at no extra charge can't beat that!!!

puddlejumper
08-11-2000, 01:56 PM
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I took a lot of things into consideration, but I ended up deciding on the Columbia Widgeon in Shadow Grass camo. Purchased one from Sportco here in Fife today - $217.97 plus tax out the door. Could have waited and shopped a little longer and maybe saved $5 or $10(after all, it is only August - ha), but I've been going stir crazy waiting for the season to start! If you can't hunt, BUY SOMETHING HUNTING RELATED! (at least that's been my motto this year)

Looking forward to breaking in the new coat! Next item up for replacement - WADERS! (hehehe)

------------------
puddlejumper

[This message has been edited by puddlejumper (edited 08-11-2000).]

Go4Ducks2
08-11-2000, 04:21 PM
Good choice.....you won't be sorry!

------------------
Goose huntin' is the best but I Go4Ducks2 (http://sites.outdoorsite.com/outdoors/go4ducks2)

scdukman
08-12-2000, 03:45 PM
but the herters 4-1 and you will not go wrong.it will last you for years and keep you dry............

Skeet in NZ
08-13-2000, 01:30 AM
This is Skeets wife. Now I don't care about your jacket. You will get what your given.haha What gems did you buy your wife??? The perfect trade off in my books is dollar for dollar. Roll on the next shooting season in NZ as I have a need for something new LOL.

Lynaire

Skeet in NZ
08-13-2000, 01:33 AM
SORRY GUYS. I made the mistake of saying listen to this and she was up and running before I knew what she was doing. She posted before I could stop her. I won't make the same mistake twice. hehehehhe

------------------
Skeet in NZ

puddlejumper
08-14-2000, 07:44 AM
Hi Mrs. Skeet - got you a little worked up about the jewelry, huh? Well, you'll be happy to know that I blew a good chunk of my hunting budget on a 2 ct. (total wt.) diamond tennis bracelet for my wife last Thursday. I gave it to her at dinner Friday night (our 5th anniv. was the 11th) and she spent the rest of the evening stressing out about how much money I spent! Not exactly the reaction I was hoping for, but I caught her COMPLETELY off-guard! She had really no reason to worry so much - I didn't spend more than we could easily afford (interest-free financing is great). Anyway, come Saturday morning she finally settled down, and I've been getting "I love you's" and "thank you's" ever since.

With the "brownie points" I scored on the bracelet, (hehe) I think my hunting season is going to be a GOOD ONE!!!! http://64.176.94.12/ubb/wink.gif Only thing that has me nervous is that I MIGHT have set too high of a standard for myself - what the hell am I going to buy her for our 10th anniversary????? http://64.176.94.12/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
puddlejumper

Skeet in NZ
08-15-2000, 12:54 AM
Puddlejumper Mrs Skeet in NZ here. I am getting a divorce or sending him over for lessons LOL.

I take my hat off to you and I know your wife would love the diamond (but what girl wouldn't). I seem to draw the short straw at this end guess I married at the wrong time of the year waiting until the season was well finished and the new one too far away for Rob to try and score the brownie points.

Well done

Lynaire

puddlejumper
08-15-2000, 08:05 AM
Aw, don't be too hard on the poor guy Mrs. S! I'm not a perfect "angel" with the wife either (not many hunters are, hehe) and the only reason Rachel (my wife) got the diamonds is because it was our 5th anniversary. Normally, she and I don't really even exchange gifts on our anniversary; we usually only exchange cards and go out to dinner or out of town together. I just thought a little more than a card was needed for the 5-year milestone, and like I said before, I might have "dug myself a hole" for future milestones!

Anyway, as a fellow hunter, I respectfully request that you "take it easy" on Mr. Skeet! He's in a fragile state of mind right now since the main hunting season is over, and needs a little time to regroup! (HA)

Take care, and thanks for the kind words.

PJ