View Full Version : new addition

01-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Considering a new addition to the family. What is the best book/video that i can purchase. Iwould like to get started reading before i get the new pup. ? are there rules about the time of year one should purchase a new pup???? Iam considering
geting one in march but that is subject to change. What are the major dos and don'ts? I just want to be prepared when i get it, so feel free to add your to cents.

01-05-2004, 06:44 AM
Lets start with training books first. Two of the best on the market today are The Ten Minute Retriever by John and Amy Dahl. Evan Graham has 3 books on the market that are a must for retriever training. They are Smartworks books 1 and 2 and Smart Fetch.
Picking a good puppy takes a lot of homework and you really need to be informed about what is a good breeding and what to look for in a reputable breeder. First the sire and dam must have their hips and elbows certified to be clear of any genetic defects. Their eyes must be checked and certified. I always look for both the sire and dam to be titled. A lot of people will buy a puppy out of a titled sire and forget the dam, the dam contributes as much or more to the puppy as the sire so look for working titled parents. I also want the sire to be proven as a sire, meaning has he himself produced titled hunting dog or field trail dogs. Their are some great male dogs being breed that have produced nothing.
One thing I do is never buy a puppy out of a first time female, main reason being I want to contact owners of previous litters to see how the puppies worked out. I will probably think of more later and I know others here can add much more to help you. This is a great site to look for your new puppy.

01-05-2004, 09:41 AM
Another video tape that focuses on the 7 week to 6 month timeframe is Jackie Mertens, Sound Beginnings. It's a great beginner tape that will get you working with your future little one.

You'd also get the pleasure of seeing my big butt in it with my dawg when shelby was a pup.

01-05-2004, 12:53 PM
I would definitely recommend Retriever Training: A Back To Basics Approach by Robert Milner

Great info on all aspects of raising a puppy to be a great companion as well as a great retriever.

I asked the same question you did two years ago and got a host of books. I read 5 different ones and Milner by far has the best approach in my opinion.

Lots of luck!!

01-05-2004, 02:04 PM

01-05-2004, 07:59 PM

01-06-2004, 05:55 PM
thanks for all the info

Sky Scraper
01-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Congrats on your new pup.
I went through this same experience a year ago.
I was referred to "Training your retriever" by James Lamb Free.
It is an older book (before e-collars) but I found the basics easy to understand and apply with my pup, when to make progressions, when to reward and discipline etc...
I also had quite alot of help by from a guy who has trained several dogs - you can only learn so much be reading - i would recommend that you get some guidance from a seasoned veteran as well.
Best of luck
Sky Scraper

01-12-2004, 03:01 PM
These guys know what they are talking about, listen good! I have been using the 10 minute retieiver, great book for beginner trainers, also if you have a trainer that you know in your area , and if you get stuck on something training give him a call, or stop in , these guys can help you out.