PDA

View Full Version : Wierd hunting ideas

Gooseguy
08-10-2000, 06:57 PM
Every now and then I have wierd hunting ideas that I wonder if they would work. My most recent is neat.
IF those human goose suits work, then how about a dog goose suit for dogs that don't like to stay still? 4 legged goose,hmm?
Also, hunting gesse that fly over certain trees every day from a treestand to get in shooting range, or is it illegal?

Go4Ducks2
08-10-2000, 07:04 PM
I know what ya mean...I've been bow hunting several times when I coulda just reached up and knocked 'em down with my bow....although I don't know anybody who hunts geese from a tree stand...good question for the CP next time you see 'em. I must be as crazy as you, that dog idea sounds like it may have some potential...surely would add some motion to your spread! lol

------------------
Goose huntin' is the best but I Go4Ducks2 (http://sites.outdoorsite.com/outdoors/go4ducks2)

BRANTA
08-10-2000, 08:52 PM
No Shit! When I first started hunting a good friend of mine had a club that had a tree blind. On windy days the guys would be shooting down on the birds. There also was a guy that had a goose suit for himself and dog. So there has always been crazy goose hunters out there. Both of the ideas worked.

Bill Collector
08-10-2000, 09:11 PM
Just take some white rustoleum and touch up your lab's cheek. Works like a charm. Often , he is the only deke I use. They get mezmorized by his tail spinning at 500rpms.
NR
PS, Can anyone give me a reason why hunting geese out of a tree stand would be illegal? I have never seen this addressed in a book, so I am certain there are no laws about it. So why would it be illegal?

------------------
Bill Collector

I collect bluebills, ringbills, spoonbills or any fowl with a bill!

Flocknocker
08-10-2000, 10:48 PM
I have had my dog out in the middle of the spread and had birds land damn near on him several times. Some time it just makes you wonder, what the heck them geese are thinking.

------------------
Flocknocker
"We're All About Geese"

Blackduck
08-12-2000, 11:12 AM
I've read about guys hunting flooded timber and beaver pond ducks from climbers when they would work "out of range over the tree tops". I imagine the ducks got a little surprise when the oaks started slinging steel, lol. I don't think it would be illegal on the fed level, but who knows, local laws might say it is.

Joe
08-12-2000, 01:29 PM
It seems as if you stand back and look at your spread you see a lot of black, I thinkfrom a goose view high up a black lab would lookalmost like a goose and we have had the dog running around and still decoyed geese and ducks, Im sure there is times when they get spooked but i think majority of the times the dog well our dog at least did not spook the geese.
-Joe

wingfeather
08-12-2000, 07:01 PM
I have killed ducks over in ontario were the dogs run back and fourth in the decoys in the field they call it tolling it really worked on the ducks don't see why it wouldn't on geese. I have a tree that I would love to climb the geese come over this tree every morning and evening very low the early part of the season.

BigFoot
08-13-2000, 02:55 PM
Ihunted ONE time only {and that was enough}at a club in Missouri, next to a large refuge. These guys were retired pnone company linemen and had built huge blinds,stands in the top of six telephone poles. They were litterly in the tops of trees. You talk about sky bustin, the geese were all pass shootin range, maybe 50 yards over the tops of the trees. These guys would open up on em with 4-buck, two or three guys at a time,{12} shots if they would wing one it took 30 minutes to go get the damm thing. I felt like I,d been to sea after an hour in the top of that thing, Just a little breeze and we were swaying like the devil.Legal, I guess,ethical,--yea right!

------------------
Kevin

BigFoot
08-13-2000, 02:58 PM
Ihunted ONE time only {and that was enough}at a club in Missouri, next to a large refuge. These guys were retired pnone company linemen and had built huge blinds,stands in the top of six telephone poles. They were litterly in the tops of trees. You talk about sky bustin, the geese were all pass shootin range, maybe 50 yards over the tops of the trees. These guys would open up on em with 4-buck, two or three guys at a time,{12} shots if they would wing one it took 30 minutes to go get the damm thing. I felt like I,d been to sea after an hour in the top of that thing, Just a little breeze and we were swaying like the devil.Legal, I guess,ethical,--yea right! Buy the way was in the truck and headed home by 7:00, and after a few kind remarks by myself was in so many words not invited back.

------------------
Kevin