PDA

View Full Version : Dog staying

Bird Buster (BB)
01-07-2004, 12:37 PM
I am new to dogs. I got a 2 yr old black lab from the pound and she is a bird machine. But needs some work staying in the blind until the shooting is over. PM me with help. Thanks.

Justin

:wak:

fastlanelabs
01-07-2004, 07:55 PM
Probably the easiest and least time consuming way of going at would be to hunt her with a collar (not a pinch or choke just a plain ol' collar). Attach a rope with a snap swival (a short leash works too) on one end and the other end to where you want her in the blind and tie(tether) her up in the blind.
This way she won't break, and you won't have to spend a ton of time trying to steady her, unless you want to get involved.

chcltlabz
01-08-2004, 05:31 AM
Its all in the training.

First off, if she knows sit, she should also know that the command sticks until you give her another command, with no exceptions. If she breaks, don't let her have the retrieve. To a retriever, the retrieving part of "the game" is the reward, so don't reward her unless she does what she's supposed to.

Also, when you are training with her, which can include during the hunt, don't let her make all the retrieves, so she's not expecting that every time a bird goes down, or is thrown, that she is going to make the retrieve. Start in the backyard, throwing bumpers or whatever, and making her sit at heel. Leave her there and go pick up the bird yourself. If she breaks sit, then go back and place her right where you left her, and don't let her get up.

I'd start off letting her retrieve one every 3 throws or less, and gradually work your way up to where she is retrieving 2 out of 3, etc. No matter what, don't let her make a retrieve if she isn't steady, even if that means running out after her. She'll catch on.

Another question, are you using layout blinds, and if so, is she in the blind with you? If so, you should weigh the options of whether or not you want her there while you are shooting.