PDA

View Full Version : Patternmaster chokes

Heavy Gougin'
08-10-2000, 08:16 PM
I currently shoot an extra full choke through my Rem SP-10. I've been considering buying a patternmaster and was curious what those of you who have them think about them. Do you notice a big difference. I mainly want it to pass shoot geese and occassionally in the dekes. I guess I really want to know how tight the pattern holds out to 70 or 80 yards! All I shoot is High Velocity shells. I reload my own and got them up to 1500 fps!

Heavy Gougin'

buck_master_2001
08-10-2000, 09:21 PM
I use a pattern master in my beretta A390 12 Guage.I just got it but I love it.I tested it on some pigens and it was unbelievable how dead I shot them.The shots were 20-45 yards with 2 3/4" #6.There was always a cloud of feathers and on 3 occasion parts were missing or they were tore up pretty bad.It didn't make a difference in my shooting.At longer ranges yeah, but not at shorter ranges.Get it u won't be dissapointed.

Flocknocker
08-10-2000, 10:54 PM
HG I never shoot over 50 yards max so I have never tested any farther than that. They work very well to that distance but would not recommend shooting at 80 yards with steel shot with any choke.

------------------
Flocknocker
"We're All About Geese"

Heavy Gougin'
08-11-2000, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Flocknocker:
HG I never shoot over 50 yards max so I have never tested any farther than that. They work very well to that distance but would not recommend shooting at 80 yards with steel shot with any choke.

Heavy Gougin'
08-11-2000, 11:41 AM
I don't believe in sky busting either. I just wanted to know what the pattern was like. On my current choke it changes DRASTICALLY once it passes 50-55 yards. I pass shoot a lot of snows and often take them at 50-60 yards. This is NOT sky busting by anymeans. Just wanted to set the story straight. I got the info I wanted to here and will have one before early goose season here in SD on Sept 2!!

Let the carnage begin!!

Chocolate Lab
08-11-2000, 12:44 PM
I shoot a Patternmaster in both my Winchester Super X2 and Browning BPS 10 Gauge. One of the main reasons I bought the Patternmasters is that they provide a shorter shot string and therefore less cripples. Instead of your shot being strung out over 12 feet, the Patternmaster shortens it to about 6 feet. These provides more pellets at the point of impact w/ the bird and drops 'em dead. I use the 10 gauge for pass shots on snows, honkers & specs.