PDA

View Full Version : whistle commands

VTblackfoot
01-13-2004, 07:56 AM
how do you guys drill these. My BLM gets the return whistle when I have him sit/stay and recall, but doesn't get it when he is not in that controlled situation. I have also been using it when he is returning from a mark and force-on-back hoping that will help to reinforce it. Any suggestions for drills on the return and sit whistles??

chcltlabz
01-13-2004, 08:13 AM
Wow, there are way too many ways to answer this question.

Here's what I do.

For the sit whistle: After the dog has mastered the sit verbal command, start incorporating the whistle sit. The command should go whistle "sit". This works well with the dog on a lead, so you can pull up on the lead to make him sit. Once your dog shows signs of getting it by starting to sit when he hears the whistle, then start using the verbal sit only as a reinforcer. Then you can start walking the dog around on a long lead and blowing the whistle, and continuing to walk. If the dog does not sit, blow the whistle louder, and give a verbal "sit!" The dog should remain sitting until you give it another command, even as you walk away. This leads into the come in whistle.

I prefer to use the command heel, but some use "come". Start with a whistle sit, and back away from the dog a short distance. If the dog gets up, give him a NO! whistle, and replace him where you left him, even if that means picking him up. Once he gets the stay part of the whistle, and you have backed away, give him a "heel" followed by the come back whistle. Repeat this until you no longer need the verbal command, with lots of praise, to keep the enthusiasm.

This leads into the "T" drills, which is better left for a book to explain.

Good luck.

fastlanelabs
01-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Do you use an electric collar?