PDA

View Full Version : Any contest callers in here??

GooseMan17
01-13-2004, 07:26 PM
I am not currently a contest caller but hope to some day. Anyone in here a contest caller??

Good Huntin,
Gooseman

tlancaster
01-19-2004, 06:03 PM
I just started contest calling this year. I was in the west kentucky open. I plan on gettin into heavy next year

quackattacka2
01-19-2004, 06:14 PM
I have been in contest callin for about 2 years now... i suggest all of ya callers who havnt competed or at least been to a calling contest, go to one or compete... its a blast

camden

GooseMan17
01-24-2004, 02:13 AM
I hope to get into calling contests this year. I know I'm gonna get stage frieght though:MS: Any tips for a newbie:HUH:

Good Huntin,
Goooseman

tlancaster
01-25-2004, 02:21 PM
The best thing to do is move around on the stage. Walk back and forth on the stage while calling. It works for me

ZIG
01-25-2004, 09:27 PM
I can't give you that much advice on how to not have stage fright. But the best way to go into a contest is to have your routine down as good as you can get it. Know just where you are at evry moment in the routine. Learn it in parts and when you practice just tie them all together. That way when you get up there if something distracts you, you can find your way back.

I had rather blow a bad routine as far as quality as I had to get lost. Its kinda like knowing a song. You might miss a word or two but as long as you make them understand what you are trying to say , then it's not that bad. Some people will lose their way and leave critical parts out of a routine. Thus the scoring will show this. Make it to the next round by trying to blow clean and goosey. That is what will get you there. Most people try to hard adn go to fast ans have to fill in and make stuff up at the end. Dont do this. I can tell and you can too when someone is making it up . Because remember , the last 10 to 20 seconds are what they hear right before they score you. So a bobble in the beginning might be overlooked or not frowned upon as bad if you finish strong.

Just know you abilities and blow what you know. As far as the crowd, Well they are there because they like to hear good goose calling. SO GIVE THEM SOME!!! Have fun and enjoy yourself.

GooseMan17
01-26-2004, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the tips Zig!! :cool:

Good Huntin,
Gooseman

Bill Morrison
01-26-2004, 09:53 AM
I've been contest calling for about two years now. I think that Zig gave you some good advice. The only thing that I would add is that you should be happy with what you do. When it's all done and over you need to be happy with your routine. Try to learn something every time, and don't change your routine just because one set of judges didn't like what you did. Ask the other callers for advise. Most of all make sure you have fun! If it becomes just work you will lose interest. As far as on the stage the only thing that I can suggest is to pick a spot on the floor or somewhere that you won't get distracted and concentrate on doing your thing. I wish all of you the best of luck and look forward to meeting some of you!

Bill

honkerhammerer
02-13-2004, 08:48 PM
What does your routine have to consist of??
How long??

Longhonker1
02-24-2004, 08:49 AM
Most routines at least have to include hail calls, inter-greeting, greeting, comback, greeting and laydown calls. I'm sure there are other more advanced things that the really good guys throw in!