PDA

View Full Version : Troubles

win300us
01-15-2004, 10:44 PM
Here is A question for you dog owners I have A 5 yr old cross Brittany and lab very good hunter until this year he stopped retrieving the dead birds still catches the live ones though Ive tried everything to grt him to retrieve just wont do it I get the dummy out to play with my outher lab and tanner runs for the garage Ive tried ff, treats, everything even the hateful shock collar nothing works. Somebody told me it is the Brittany in him they have A tendancy to do that. What do you guys think.:CL: :CY:

PondRiver
01-15-2004, 11:09 PM
Was he ever FF'ed when he was younger? Did something happen to him while he was retrieving that would have a negative effect on him(retrieved a cripple and got spurred, pecked, etc)?
I know you said he would retrieve/chase a live bird. Does he just do this on bumpers or dead birds too?
This is a broad questions which could have several answers. Give us somemore background on the dog.

PR

win300us
01-16-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by PondRiver
Was he ever FF'ed when he was younger? Did something happen to him while he was retrieving that would have a negative effect on him(retrieved a cripple and got spurred, pecked, etc)?
I know you said he would retrieve/chase a live bird. Does he just do this on bumpers or dead birds too?
This is a broad questions which could have several answers. Give us somemore background on the dog.

PR No he was never ff,ed when he was A pup it came natural to him. I dont think anything happened to him when he was retrieving. When ther is A downed bird he will run to it but if it is dead he will just act like there is'nt any thing there. Once and awhile when I am hunting both dogs he will bring one back but not to often

shootem
01-16-2004, 12:02 PM
You said you tried force fetch, please explain what you did? Had the dog been collar conditoned before.

PondRiver
01-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Win300,

FF'ing does not teach the pup to Fetch. It is a pschological training technique. It makes the dog fetch and hold on command. Sounds like you needed to do this. What you dog is doing is not that uncommon. He is a little late to go through FF.
The reason he is bringing the bird back w/another dog in the field is a "this is mine" game.
More info. on the dog would help.

PR

win300us
01-16-2004, 08:56 PM
I got the dog when he was 1 yr old and I taught the basics sit ,stay come, and he retrieved everything that I threw for him I never used the E collar when training . and what I mean when I said FF I would make him hold the dummy and if he would drop it I would pinch his ear and pick up the dummy and put it back in his mouth and then release his ear when he held and as the fetch goes I would throw the dummy and pinch his ear until we got to the dummy and pick it up and put in his mouth and make him walk beside me with the dummy in his mouth until we got back to where I threw it from. Now he wont even hold the dummy in his mouth no matter how hard I pinch his ear. He is one heck of A upland bird dog one of the best noses in the buisnes flushes the birds very seldom ever misses on but will not retreive any more . WHAT TO DO?

shootem
01-17-2004, 08:42 AM
Well I think the dog could come back to retrieving if properly force fetched. How much time are you willing to put in a 5 year crossbred dog. You are going to have to go back to the bases and start from day one. I think the main problem here is the dog was improperly force fetched and you really have nothing to fall back on. My advise to you would be keep the dog as a pet or give it to a family that will give it a good home and start over with a well bred puppy of your choice. First get a couple of good current retriever training books and learn as much as you can. I also believe every hunting retriever should be properly force fetched. The best book on the market for this you can purchase from this link.
http://www.rushcreekpress.com/pages/899088/index.htm
I think we could get your dog back on track but like I say it is going to take a lot of time and work. Let me know what you think.

win300us
01-17-2004, 10:14 AM
Thanks shootum I am going to get that book