PDA

View Full Version : Whinning?

huntingmarsh
01-19-2004, 09:45 PM
I've got a problem with my dog, she seems to whine alot while hunting. I don't know if she is just cold or just anxience because she is just 11 months and is still hyper at times. I've taken her at least 6 times this year and everytime we actually kill ducks she will retreive them so she has been hunting enough for her age. So thats why I don't know if she is just cold at times or just ready to get a bird???? And this weekend I took her and parts of her fur were frozen and she didn't whine as much. And thanks for any help and sorry if I spelled something wrong!!!:hit: :hit:

Corey

PondRiver
01-19-2004, 10:19 PM
At least you are killing birds over her. It is hard to take a young dog to the blind around here, until lately, and try to get kills over them.

More than likely your dog is just anxious. Most "good" dog are. Is she real birdy? If it is a loud whine that will mess up the birds, then you might want to introduce a good bark caller. Just make sure the collar is on teh throat and it will pick up and loud whine. Then when it nicks the dog say quiet, hush, etc.

As far as being cold, my main dog has never had a winter coat. He whines, but only when the birds aren't flying. It is not loud, just telling you his is bored or pi$$ed because your buddy can't hit anything. :Rich:

Good luck with your pup. You are heading in the right direction by introducing the pup to hunting and you will end up eith a great retreiver.

PondRiver

Here is Jake @ 13 months w/out a winter coat and -25 windchill!

duckhunterKS
01-20-2004, 09:45 AM
Sorry PondRiver but I am going to have to disagree with you on the bark collar in the blind. I absolutely would not nick a dog for getting excited over birds. If the ducks are close enough to hear your dog whining in the blind than you should be shooting not discipling your retriever.

Personally I think it is great to see a dog get that excited about hunting. My lab starts shaking and does a little whining but my buddy's Chessy goes crazy when he locks onto a flock. It has never cost us any birds!!

shootem
01-20-2004, 09:51 AM
I believe it comes down to training; first you have to teach the quiet command. After he has learned this start with throwing dummies, make him wait 15 seconds to a minute before you release him for the retrieve. Any whining you say NO quiet and put him up. DON"T LET HIM GET THE RETEIRIVE!!! Try it again after 15 or 20 minutes. After you get him through this and he has learned to be quiet move on to some one throwing dead birds then shooting birds. Any time he makes a noise it's NO quiet and put him up. Now move on to hunting situations remember we are still training not hunting. Set up the blinds, decoys and have a couple of friends help. Throw live birds and have you friends shoot them; you watch and handle your dog. Remember any noise and it's NO quiet and put him up. This is the way I would handle it non e-collar. Barn Pigeons work great for this. Remember we train to go hunting we DON”T go hunting to train!! Good luck and let us know if this helps.

huntingmarsh
01-20-2004, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the help. I have inforced the quiet command and it will work for when she is barking but when she does whine I will put my hand on her nose and say quiet and she still wimpers a little. I've been meaning to find a few live birds and work with her with but never can find a place.

Thanks again.
Corey

PondRiver
01-21-2004, 01:06 AM
DuckhunterKS,

Where did I say to put a bark collar on in the blind? This is the last thing I would do. That would be setting you up for the dog to flare the birds when it gets nicks and really whines loud, if not yelps!

As far as you should be shooting besides discipling your retriever? I do not push training in the field, unless you are not hunting and just running your dog only. Obviously you have never hunted with a retriever that flared birds because the whining got so loud it hurts your ears. It was almost barking.

There is a difference between nicking for being birdy and nicking for being to vocal. I never nick for being birdy. If I did I would not have a strong willed dog like I do!

When Jake gets excited his teeth starts chattering.

Huntingmarsh,

How long do you set in a blind and not see anything? And then all of a sudden 20 birds drop in and you call and call? It is hard to duplicate anytype of hunting situations. I run and judge hunt test and trials. You can't even duplicate actual hunting situations with all of the help you can get. I have seen FCs whine like crazy while hunting, but never even think about it in training or testing. If you don't get a handle on it now, it will only get worse and occur more often, if not louder!

You pup is still young and I am just telling you what I do as a Pro that works for me and my Gun Dog Program.

Good Luck and Happy Tails,
PondRiver

shootem
01-21-2004, 06:17 AM
I have a dog now that has had a whining problem since day one. I have it pretty much under control but always working on it. He is out of Honest Abe and a lot of his offspring have vocal problems. About 3 years ago I asked the guy in the blind beside me to watch him and see if he moved when the birds were coming in. He doesn't call or flag. After we had shot into the next group of birds I ask the guy if he moved. He laughed and said moved hell he doesn’t even breathe when the birds came in. Keep after it and you will get it under control. PondRiver as always has given you some excellent advice keep asking questions and keep working with your dog. The main goal for you is to have a better trained dog than you brother.hehe

GOOSEMASTERCL
01-21-2004, 04:37 PM
From Cut-um:
We don't bash here so save your comments for email...:LM:

Woods and Water
01-22-2004, 10:55 AM
Alot of dogs whine while out hunting,as long as it isnt very loud and or annoying i dont see a huge issue with it.I think its kinda neat when you hear them chatter and whine(quietly)....they just as excited as we are.All the pros above had good ideas just try some of them and see if one works better for you than a other.