PDA

View Full Version : 2 part handling question

VTblackfoot
01-23-2004, 05:17 PM
Ok, here's the deal: have been working on whistle commands with my dog and he gets the recall whistle, but just plain doesn't get the remote sit whistle - doesn't seem to be able to diferentiate between the multiple and single blasts. So, the question is, can I still get him to handle well w/o a remote sit? any tips or techniques? Also, we have been working on the remote sit whistle for about 2 weeks:CF: :hp: :BZ: :BZ:

shootem
01-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Are you following any specific training program now?

VTblackfoot
01-24-2004, 03:43 AM
Shootem, I am just following the "10 minute retriever" book and askin a lot of questions here and there when I run into a snag.

GAChessie
01-26-2004, 06:47 AM
Well......where are you at in program? First thing is back up and teach some more, keep him in close on a check cord, and use both verbal and whistle command....sit..toot...sit all on check cord, kind of hard to handle if the dog wont sit and look at you, one tip I will always remember from years ago, an old timer taught me this, and rings true in todays training, move as fast as the dog will let you, if you do not get success, back up to where you had success and start building again. A good way to sour a dog on handling is not getting SOME success in handling training, it gets old on them fast. I believe in making all beginning handling drills with no "pressure" just straight attrition, then as they build confidence and learn handling bring in pressure. And don't worry one day it will "click".

Old Timer
01-26-2004, 09:02 AM
Using a check cord, I got my dog to check back, (quarter) go left and go right. Have to go through the routine every night for about 15 min to 1/2 hour.
Then try without. What your doing is letting him know which way to go when he hears the differant whistle sounds.

Dibs
01-28-2004, 07:52 AM
IF your dog is sitting every time you ask him verbally and close (if he isn't use the check cord),

Toot the whislte first THEN give him the verbal sit...if he responds correctly GREAT< YES!!! HAVE a party.

Repeat over and over and over again, to get a fluent response, whistle toot, verbal sit, good dog!!!!!

After MANY correct responses, blow the toot, pause....if the dog doesn't sit, give the verbal and back up for a bunch more times.

What will happen in that order is the dog will learn to associate the toot whistle with the already established verbal cue...toot, dog anticipates the verbal sit, and should start to beat the verbal cue by sitting first...at that point you phase out the verbal cue and are left with a stimulus that has been transferred over...from the learned verbal "cue'd" response to the whistle response...THEN start working on the remote stuff.

If you are using a remote collar you can cheat a LITTLE, and do some negative reinforced sits, at a distance, but even then I still train the verbal first and transfer it to the whistle.

Hope that helps a bit...have fun

Dibs

Ruff
01-28-2004, 02:28 PM
Great info Dibs!!

JK
02-03-2004, 06:31 AM
just curious...is your dog/pup collar conditioned?