PDA

View Full Version : How many of you guys hunt your dog out of a pit?

Woods and Water
02-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Do you guys use your dog as much when hunting out of a pit?

JK
02-02-2004, 09:48 PM
hey mark...i dont hunt pits much anymore, but i did hunt tanner out of a pit this year (for his first time). why do you ask? its a little weird cause every retrieve is a blind retrieve...long or short. we honed his blind skills quickly as a result. we worked on running blinds 20-250 yards endlessly after that. ive seen dogs come barrelling out of pits like a hot fox hole in vietnam, which ive always been a bit concerned about an accident waiting to happen. but most of my buddies had never trained their dogs properly...just good ole meat dogs. sorry to ramble on...i was just anticipating your next question.

jake

PondRiver
02-02-2004, 10:33 PM
I hunt alot of dogs out of pits. Especially young ones. They are not in the pit with us though. We bury a box beside of the pit. Then we put a henged top on it with a hole cut in the middle of the hinge, just so the dog can stick his head out of it and mark the birds. After you pooch is steady you can take the door off of the box. If you need any questions about the design, let me know.

PondRiver

ELIMINATOR
02-06-2004, 01:07 AM
I hunt the Ridgefield Refuge periodically and one of the gents that frequents the refuge built some pit platforms. They basically are a shelf that hangs about a foot and a half down into the pit. The steel "hangers" hook onto the ledges and the platform is finished in fiberglassed camo burlap. He built several and donated them to the refuge for everyones use...he was just tired of not being able to hunt pit blinds. I thought it was a great idea and wanted to pass it on.

Rick

JimE
02-21-2004, 05:28 PM
Pit, platform, boat, groundblind, they love em all.

JimE
02-21-2004, 05:34 PM
another

JimE
02-21-2004, 05:37 PM
1 more

huntingmarsh
02-22-2004, 07:28 PM
I took my pup out for its first duck season and after a few great hunts I took her to a pit. She did fine but I couldn't get her in the pit with out having to pick her up and hand her to a freind. Then when it can to getting her out I had to pick her up at to her out. I don't know if she just didn't like it in there or if it was just too deep for her( 4 foot deep i think).

Corey

huntingmarsh
02-22-2004, 07:31 PM
WOW sorry about my typing hope you can figure out what I was saying :CL: :CL:

cself02
02-23-2004, 12:05 PM
I hunted mine out of a couple different pits this year, but both times I put her in the sunken in dog pit, like JimE posted. Or I would have her lay next to it. I did take my pup one day and put her in the pit just for the experiance, and it was fun, didn't shoot anything though that dayBS:

Woods and Water
02-23-2004, 12:15 PM
I dont hunt my dogs out of the pits to often,usually hunt them out of the FA.I do like the shallow dog hide next to the pit idea....Thanks

kygoose
02-25-2004, 08:59 AM
We have a underground box next to our pit for the dogs. same principle, roll top that the dogs can see through