PDA

View Full Version : FF?

rustygunner
02-04-2004, 06:32 PM
my pup seems to have a problem getting a grip on the canvas dummy on the ground when i give him the "fetch" command...he knows what i am asking him to do...but it seems that he just doen't have the proper grip...would placing the dummy up on one end on a scrap piece of 2x4 so he can get a grip on it better help in the begining stages of FF from the ground??
rusty

PondRiver
02-04-2004, 07:03 PM
RustyGunner,

They make a FF bumper that looks like a dumbbell. This brings it off of the ground. I understand what you are saying. You can also take some baleing wire and wrap it and have it stick up to raise it off the ground. You can come up with alot of stuff, and not spend alot of money.

Good luck,
PondRiver

JK
02-04-2004, 09:43 PM
im with PR on the dumbell dummy...here is what i use. i took a 2X4 block and cut two smaller blocks from it. then i used a 1" wood bit and drilled a 1/2 hole in each of the blocks. i then cut a 1" dowel @ 8" and tapped the blocks onto the ends of the dowel. then i sank a 2 1/2 decking screw into each end to secore the blocks to the dowel...final product is a wooden dumbell. i realize lots of folks dont like to use wooden dowels for various reasons such as rolling, hard mouthing, etc...BUT, i think if you can use the dowel in conjunction with a plastic or canvas dummy you can achieve proper holding etiquette. ie...use the dowel until you are achieving a good hold. then use it every other time mixing in the dummy. then when the proper hold is achieved you can move on with the dummy to the next process. lots of top pros use the dowel...it is also helpful when teaching "drop". simply roll the dowel back towards the throat and say "drop". they catch on really quickly. there are lots of philosophies to choose from. this is just the one i have used successfully, so i can attest to it. you may find a better way for you and your pup.

jake

rustygunner
02-05-2004, 08:13 PM
where can you get the dumbell type bumpers, i have never seen one?
rusty

Old Timer
02-06-2004, 04:54 AM
search for gun dog supplies. Theres Foster and Smith and a ton of others.