PDA

View Full Version : TPLO recovery

kirkball
02-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Anyone had a dog that had the TPLO surgery? It is going on five weeks since one of my labs had the surgery and I am getting anxious to start the recovery. Of course I am going to wait until the doctor says its time do it but wanted to know what types of things you do and for how long?

Chad

gw-smith
02-26-2004, 05:53 PM
TPLO is a tough surgery - I've seen dogs take longer to recover from it than even a total hip replacement. However in 8 to 12 weeks you can start long walks again and in 3 to 4 months the dog should be totally healed. Overall this is a great surgery with much better long-term results than other cruciate repair techniques. Anybody that has a dog over 50 pounds that tears a cruciate should seriously consider this procedure.

paul young
03-02-2004, 09:29 PM
i just might be the "king of pain"! :CY: my 9 year old went through it 4 years ago, and my 2 year old had surgery 2 weeks ago.

i was surprised to see how agressive the rehab has become since the first dog's injury. currently walking on leash 3 x a day for 10 minutes. also 3-4 sit down-stand up reps 3x a day, working up to 20 min walks and 10 reps of the sit 3x a day over the next 4 weeks. also figure 8's on leash.

Belle is walking well, only "skipping" if i walk too fast.

was told by the orthopedist that as soon as the bone is healed we can start swimming and off-lead exercise.

Daisy's (9 yo) recovery was complete at 15-16 weeks. it was a great feeling to go to the line in our first trial after the surgery for both of us!

sounds like your vet is being pretty conservative. i like this method of rehab better. have not had the muscle atrophy that i saw with Daisy.

good luck-paul

VTblackfoot
03-04-2004, 04:58 AM
what is TPLO surgery??

paul young
03-04-2004, 05:33 PM
it's a procedure for repairing torn cruciate ligaments in the knee. it involves removing the torn ligament and cutting the tibial plateau (lower leg bones) using a fixture and surgical saw to level it. a plate and screws are inserted to hold the bone in position while it heals. it is the method of choice for working dogs. most recover with full function. tplo= tibial plateau leveling osteotomy-paul

VTblackfoot
03-05-2004, 03:53 AM
thaks, Paul

Woods and Water
03-05-2004, 06:47 AM
It sounds like a seriuous operation....what would be the reason a dog would need this surgery....Paul it sounds like this can be a regualr occurance(seen you post two of your dogs have had the procedure).....Thanks!

paul young
03-05-2004, 12:38 PM
basicly the same type of injury football players suffer. both of my dogs did it tearing after cripples in our late nuisance season. am seriously considering not using my dogs at that time of year.

good thing i've got a steady job. -paul

gw-smith
03-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Paul is right - this surgery is for the repair of torn or blown cruciate ligaments in the knee. This is a fairly new surgery and is only done by a few veterinarians across the country. The inventor of the surgery actually patented the procedure (which is legal in veterinary medicine - not human medicine). This means that in order to do the surgery you have to pay to go to his training school and have a special license allowing you to do it. You also have to buy the equipment for the surgery from him (bone plates).

Traditionally there has been another method to repair (or I should say try to repair) torn cruciates in dogs which was (and is)done with varying success. In this technique the veterinarian would put in a heavy piece of suture (often sterilized fishing line) to try and replace the old ligament. The down side of this procedure was that the knee would only stabilize to some degree and usually arthritis would set in.

In large dogs the TPLO surgery has proven much more effective in returning dogs to full function and preventing the formation of arthritis. For a little dog - I would still go with the other surgery because it's much cheaper and seems to work OK in these breeds.

Woods and Water
03-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Paul thanks for the reply and good luck on the recovery of the dog.