PDA

View Full Version : New Addition

PondRiver
02-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Sorry guys that I haven't been replying to ya'lls e-mails or posting up this weekend. I just got back a couple hours ago from picking up a new pup in Mississippi.

It is a Black Lab Male(sorry guys, you know I like the fast and black) :rf:

Name: unknown
DOB: 10/30/03
SIRE:FC AFC Creek Robber "Auggie"
DAM: Stoneridge Hottie Dottie QAA

I will be starting a update on training progress with him. So maybe some of ya'll can see the processes, feats, failures and so on(that is if Da Bull:Bull: doesn't have a problem with it).

Anyway we have high hopes and big shoes for this little guy to step in. I will be posting some pictures of him in the next couple of days. My eyes are crossing now from the lack of sleep! But right now I can tell you he is all boy!! He done grabbed the wifes leg an proceeded to hump away. What is it with my dogs and woman?

Wish us luck and keep your fingers crossed for the silver plates and blue ribbons,
PondRiver

shootem
02-09-2004, 05:47 AM
Sounds like a great pup, tell us more about the dam!!!:cool:

honker slayer
02-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Congrats on the new pup:cool:

Woods and Water
02-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Look foward to hearing his progress....good luck!

PondRiver
02-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Shootem,

"Dottie" has a Qualifing win and will continue her feat in the trials in the coming months. What I have seen and heard she is a ball of fire, which I love.
"Dottie" is out of FC AFC Candlewood's Rebel Ridge PDQ "Quick" X Wingmaster's Fishtrap

"Quick" had 43 Derby pts., Finalist in the National Open in '99 and Finalist in National Amatuer in '99 & '02. He is out of FC AFC Webshire's Honest Abe X 3xNFC FC AFC Candlewood's Tanks A Lot.
Wingmaster's Fishtrap is out CNAFC CFC FC AFC Aces High III X FC AFC Fishtrap Aggie.

There are tom many NFCs, NAFCs, FCs, AFCs, CNFCs, CNAFCs, CFCs, CAFCs, High Point: Open, Amatuer, Derby and Hall of Fame dogs to count, just in 5 generations.

PondRiver

rounddawg
02-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Congrats and good luck!
You can't go wrong with a creek robber pup.

Derek

PondRiver
02-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Rounddawg,

I wish I had a dollar for everytime that I heard that statement about a puppy out of a certain dog. I could stop training. I have seen bad dogs out of some top litters. There are really only a few top breedings(the whole litter) that all of the pups turned out awesome. QAA-FCs.

I will take the luck over anything though.

Thanks dude,
PondRiver

PondRiver
02-14-2004, 04:02 PM
Hey Guys,

Here is a picture of "Gus". He is a ball of fire, retrievin' fool. He is sitting, heeling, coming to heel all on command. Been retrieving birds out to 50 yards everyday. We are working on "down" and he is taking to it great. He is very loving dog, but is already getting jealous when the old dog is laying with me on the couch. So far so great. And the great thing is, we have only had one accident(pee) and that was my fault. I didn't see him sitting by the door.

Won't be long and he will be seeing the :wak:

Cheers :cool:
PondRiver

This is about as good a picture as I could get last week. The little chit would not be still. He wanted that damn ball to bad!!!:Wt

KyGooseKilla
02-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Pondriver, Im near hopkinsville ky and i was wondering what the best age is sto start train a pup. I am trying to decide between a golden retriever and a chesapeke. Is this weather too warm around here for the chesapeke? Thanks for the help!

PondRiver
02-15-2004, 09:51 PM
KyGoosekilla,

I thought I sent you a PM. If I didn't PM or e-mail me. I can tell you more of my opinions.

PondRier

glider
02-17-2004, 04:16 AM
Congrats on the new addition and good looking pup

JK
02-17-2004, 07:10 AM
PR...handsome young man!

i was anxious to hear your opinion about chesapeakes. i know it can open a can of worms, but being a chessie guy myself, i like to hear how others feel...especially professionals. its really hard to offend me...besides that, i have a childhood friend that owns delta retrievers down in west tennessee and he hates chessies. he's done all he can to trash my love for chessies and im still smiling and we're still friends...hehehe. he'd rather cut one up for chum than try to train one. :Rich: just friendly curiocity.

Gus is beautiful!

KGA...yes, chessies are wired differently than other retrievers. yes, they can be difficult to train. yes, they can be over-protective.etc...et al. in my very humble opinion, if you are going to send your pup off to be trained...get a lab! your odds of losing money are greatly reduced with a lab. in my experiences (im on my 3rd chesapeake), once a chessie has bonded to its owner, professional training time can be hell on the wallet....trust me! often times the trainer has to spend extra time bonding with a chessie pup which extends the time it will be at the kennel which can costs thousands more...trust me!:VC:

HOWEVER; if you are going to train your dog personally...dont be afraid of a chesapeake. my current dog is 14 months old. when he was 6 1/2 months he was sent away to a pro with high credentials. ill never forget the first thing he said to my dog as he was petting his head, "i see that little devil in there." :nn: my response was,"i think he'll be OK.":NW: boy was i wrong. three months and $1600 later i was eating those words. the trainer called and said, " i think you better come get your dog. i dont want to waste your money any longer." they couldnt even get him to SIT...in three months! so i swallowed my pride and shamelessly picked up my pup. BUT i was determined...cause i spent a lot of $$$$ on this pup. i called some other pro friends of mine and they ALL said, "man, i told you so." so me and tanner began our mission. we persisted head on through a good program (one on one), worked hard every single day, and now i only hope to ever have another machine like Tanner. he's the best dog ive ever had.:TT:

moral:chessies are very loyal dogs and can get caught up in being one man dogs. they live to please YOU...not anyone else. if you train one, you wont really like them, BUT if you own one, you wouldnt trade it for the world.

jake

:cool:

PondRiver
02-17-2004, 12:19 PM
JK,

Everyone has their opinions on different breeds. They are all great in one way or another. Any good trainer can train any dog if they give the dog the opportunity. Some people that own a dog doesn't realize a dog is not made in a month.
I have trained several chessies, mainly for gun dogs only. I haven't failed yet. But some owners may have to spend more money, because all dogs learn different, and at different speeds. I tell everyone, if this is the breed you want, go for it, do your homework, and prepare to spend to money if a Pro gets it or you train it. But it will be well worth it in the end. Time, patience, and then repetition is the key to a good dog.
Me, I like the labs. But that is my opinion.

Good luck and by the way, how did this thread get on chessies?
PondRiver

JK
02-17-2004, 04:17 PM
the reason this thread got side tracked was because kygoosekilla stated he was making a decision on getting a golden or chessie and asked for some input from you. i was just wondering what your answer was...out of curiocity. thanks.

jake

i agree with you whole heartedly.

shootem
02-17-2004, 05:32 PM
Chessie or golden, my opinion CBR hands down!! I have only trained one chessie and had very good luck with it. One thing you have to remember is the chessie's of 20 years ago are no the same dogs today. They are much much better dogs. I also believe their temperament and trainability are much better. They usually take longer to train and the trainer has to be more adaptable in order to train them. Slower and easier best explains it.

KyGooseKilla
02-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Well just to let u guys know I went with a yellow lab. I'll get him next week. I plan on doing the training myself so if any of you have any tips on when i should start the training or on anything else just let me know. Thanks :wak:

win300us
02-19-2004, 09:34 PM
put everything up out of reach they chew for about 2 years