PDA

View Full Version : Question

ilgoose
02-13-2004, 09:49 AM
Here's a question for those of you that have been through all of this with a new dog. I am only 22 and this is the first dog that I have had as a puppy. My other dog we got as a 2 year old started dog. Here's the question. I have him to where he understands sit, kennel, some of the basics. He'll pic up ducks and small geese at the drop of a hat and bring them straight back to me with no problems. How should I go about starting him on the heel, come, stay, etc... commands that I know that the trainer will have to work on. I want to get my dog as far along as I can before he goes to the trainer in April. Like I said, starting a pup is all new to me so I need some help. I'm not going to worry about force fetching or anything like that so basically what I want done is the obedience so that the trainer doesn't have to waste a month or so doing this. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. FYI Drake is just a little over 4 months old right now. Thanks in advance. :CF:

Ryan

greyghost16
02-13-2004, 10:52 AM
I'll bet there are formal obedience classes available somewhere near you. Most of the retriever training books address the basics if you want to do it all yourself though. I thought the classes were a good idea because of the opportunity to socialize the pup a bit more with other dogs and get him to learn with distractions.

DOGDOC
02-13-2004, 11:16 AM
I agree, some of those "puppy classes" are really good. The reality is that the pup willl learn that stuff quickly, but the class gives you the opportunity to see other people doing the same thing, and learn from them. It is also a good way for your dog to have fun and meet other dogs while learning. Just make sure that your puppy has all of his vaccines prior to the exposure to the other dogs.
Good Luck, and congrads on the pup.
Dan

JK
02-13-2004, 12:10 PM
all the above suggestions are great. along with that, there is a wonderful video on the market that is regarded as one of the best "puppy" videos to date....geared towards retievers that is. it is called "sound beginings" by jackie mertens. jackie is a nationally renowned dog trainer with tons of merit in the puppy world. it goes through "puppy" drills such as basic obedience, jumping on command, water intro, etc... that are easy and helps get your pup ready for formal training. i think it retails for $25 or so. totally worth it because it takes the "question??" out of what you are doing. have fun.

jake

rounddawg
02-13-2004, 04:45 PM
All the above is great. I learned alot from www.fetchpup.com it has some great articles on obedience training, might save you some money.
Derek

PondRiver
02-13-2004, 09:45 PM
ILGoose,

If you are going to take the dog to a trainer, get in touch woth him or her and see what they do. Some Pros say and cue a dog a certain way. If you have a good trainer they will help you out all they can.

PondRiver

rustygunner
02-14-2004, 04:18 PM
i agree, go to a local trainer, spend sometime with him and maybe he can show you his dogs from a young pup to a finished dog...you can learn alot...also a puppy class is great...see if you have a kennel club in your area...its a great place to make contacts and new friends..
rusty...also i used the book 10 min retriever...it a great book for a novice traininer...

also ask these guys here....they know what they are talking about!!

PondRiver
02-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Hey ILGoose,

I do not know where you are located exactly, but if you are in lower Illinois, here are some HRC clubs to get in contact with. They will be a big help and great group.

Southern Illinois HRC
Retrievers Unlimited HRC
Gun Creek HRC

I can give you the presidents name and numbers if you PM me. I will be judging at the Gun Creek HRC on March 27 & 23 and Southern Il. HRC on May 1 & 2. This will help out and teach you alot by coming and watching. I must warn you though, it is highly addictive. They each also have a banquet dinner and raffle the Sat. night of the hunt. Loads of fun. BYOB!!

PondRiver