PDA

View Full Version : Drathaars

Sangamon River Rat
02-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Hey guys,
I'm in the market for a duck/goose dog. Do any of you guys have Drathaars (German Wire-Haired Pointers)??? I want to hear pros/cons on them and a reputable breeder to contact!!!

Thanks in advance,
Tim

:pl: :uh: :wak:

PondRiver
02-13-2004, 09:58 PM
River Rat,

I haven't had the pleasure of training one, nor judging one, but I know my great uncle has one for a bird dog.

It would be hard for me to see buying one, when there are other great retreiver breeds out there. But different is good.

Keep us updated. I would like to hear of your findings.

PondRiver

goosegrease
02-14-2004, 10:16 AM
RiverRat,
I have one and luv him! There arent alot of them around but they are getting more popular because of their versatility. I personally like them for this reason.
I hunt waterfowl and upland both so it was an easy decision for me.
As a pup I worked with him daily, once his adult teeth were in I had a pro FF,whoa and CC him.
Pros:Versatile,excellent companion,willingness to please,excellent tracking and retreiving capabilities,easy to train and handle,love of water.
cons:cant really think of any except the fact that this breed may not be for everybody, as they are high powered and very spirited as a breed. My pooch Jake likes to be around people and is very active.....I spend time with him everyday as they do not do well if left in the kennel everyday without contact,lots of interaction is the key to a "happy" wirehair.
I also just got a new chocolate lab, Jake is taking to him like he's his papa.......
You may want to search the internet as there are many reputable breeders to be found there.
North American Versatile Dog Association. WWW.NAVDA.COM
WWW.versatiledogs.com is another great site......
For some reputable breeders that I am familiar with drop me an email and I can suggest a few from my area that I feel put out some of the best.
I can also email you some photos of jake at "work".
Thanks Goosegrease

winny
03-02-2004, 04:27 PM
Hey S.. River Rat.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about Deutsch-Drahthaar's, VDD (association german wirehair) and NAVHDA. Let me tell you a little about myself, I had a shorthair growing up and my Dad loved the breed, but we found them to be a big running dog that it more suited to open country. We also found that the cold canadian winters are a little hard on them when out in the duck blind for the whole day. Now don't get me wrong I love the breed, just not for the cold weather. After our last shorthair dead, we decided to look at German wirehaired pointers, and hunted them for about 15 years until we found the DD and VDD. Now there a long story behind why we call them a different breed, and I'd be happy to talk about it if your interested, but I'm not going to get into it now. I have 3 DD's right now and we're planning on getting another within the next year to start a breeding kennel.

Basically the DD is a controlled breed. They can not breed unless they have passed a number of tests, and do not have any defects, ie. teeth, eyes, hips, etc.

I agree with goosegrease on the pros, but would like to add a few cons, if you can call them that. DD's do not like feather animals, ie. cats, so if you've got cats don't plan on keeping them once you've got a DD. Now yes you can train the dog to not kill them, but it requires a little experience. As goosegrease said DD's are people dogs they don't do well without human contact. They work best as a one person dog, I mean that they don't do well being trained by a pro trainer then being handed over to the owner/handler. DD's can be very intense, and therefore sometimes require a little more training to sit still in a blind. I could go on forever about the breed, if you'd like to know more visit www.vdd-gna.org, and then I can answer any other questions you have.

Talk to ya later!

Winny

JimE
03-02-2004, 09:11 PM
We have a member in the Muddy Waters Retriever Club that has really good Deutsch-Drahthaar's. Titled in Navda, AKC and HRC.

Dennis Carey, 715-845-3607. I am not sure if he has any avialable right now, but he would know who you could check with.

winny
03-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Is he a member of VDD-GNA, what's his kennel name?