PDA

View Full Version : Dog and new baby

niceshot
02-17-2004, 11:43 AM
We are ecpecting our first on May 16 and want to know what i can do to get the pooch ready for the new addition. He has not been around kids that much at all but is a very mellow dog. He is an indoors dog (sleeps inside) but other than that he is outside most of the time. I know some of you had to go through this so what did you do or what have you fellas heard about doing.
Thanks
Mike

PondRiver
02-17-2004, 12:08 PM
Mike,

I train a dog in the case like this. Take a baby doll, a blanket with the smell of a baby(put baby lotion, powder, or whatever momma is going to use the most of). Wrap the baby doll in the blanket and hold it like you wuld a baby. Get the dog to smell of it, and tell him/her "easy, baby". Discipline the dog from jumping on you, gettting next to you, etc. while you are holding the baby doll. The dog will put the two together pretty quick. I even have a tape that has a baby crying that I put in the crib, so when or if the dog takes off to it, to jump up and check it out, the dog gets disciplined.
Just give the dog time and alot of patience. It will work out.

Good luck and gradulations on the baby,
PondRiver

niceshot
02-17-2004, 03:36 PM
Thank you

wa beak breaker
02-17-2004, 04:05 PM
take baby powder and put it all over the dog in the nose and everywhere then the baby be gentle with the baby. then they both smell the same you can do it to daddy and mommy with all the smells the same the dog will thinks its alll the same. i have saved puppies lives doing this. when mothers don't want to take care of pups, its a smell thing and if they all smell the same she'll raise evry pup. congrats on the baby:cool:

Woods and Water
02-18-2004, 03:35 PM
Good advice was given above I did the similair process with our YLM and he was ok from day one.He is her biggest protector anymore......:Cop:

Dibs
02-19-2004, 06:01 AM
A lot of the words and "talk" we use with our dogs, turns out to be the same "talk" we use when a baby comes on scene. So that can be confusing...if you baby talk the dog at all...try to end it now.

Once the baby has arrived, do everything you can to create positive (very positive) associations to when the baby comes into the room, or other areas and time the dog is used to having exclusively with you. i.e.

Baby enters room, we're cuddling and coddling baby, and wow hey look "buddy" , yay...treat if the dog is food motivated. Focus on the dog developing a hey here comes the baby yay I love her attitude and association...Then start training calm, steady behaviors with positive reinforcement. Baby enters room, down stay (very near to you, and the baby so the dog isnt getting excluded)....GOOD dog, treat, pat, belly rub etc. Baby comes in, dog sits, gets attention. Baby comes in, we're sitting, feeding baby etc, dog down stays (for gradually longer periods) to earn a "YES good dog" and treats and attention.

Good luck, and CONGRATULATIONS!!!! What an exciting time.

All the best,

Dibs