PDA

View Full Version : Leash training

waterfowler4
02-24-2004, 06:00 AM
I have a 4 month old yellow lab. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her use to a leash. Everytime I hook leash on her, she wants to fight it and put the brakes on and whines bloody murder???? I thought about buying a short piece of rope and hooking a snap on it and letting her drag it around.

:hp:

waterfowler4 :in:IM000492

cself02
02-24-2004, 07:25 AM
Here is what I do, it has worked for me several times, there may be better ways of doing it but this works. Put here on the lease (perferably with a choke caller) and tye it to something, then just leave her on it for a while, she will fight it bark/cuse and carry on but she will eventually realize that it does no good. Every pup I have done this with, it has worked like a charm.

Old Timer
02-24-2004, 09:01 AM
Just put the leash on her and let her walk around with it.
After awhile pick it up and let her lead.
Then go to the choke collar for regular training.

kugohuntn
02-24-2004, 10:27 AM
I have a yellow lab pup that is now just over a year old. I friend of mine gave me a great tip as how to get her ajusted to the leash. And it worked like a charm.

IF you have any young kids in the neighborhood or in the household, give the kid the leash and instruct him or her to take the dog for a walk. Kids have no mercy, they will just go go and go some more when they are playing with the pup. It dosnt matter if the dog wines bites pulls or tuggs, in the kids mind he or she, has themselfs a puppy to play with and walk and by god they are going to do that.

I did it to my pup for just 2-3 hours one day at the lake while we were all settin around. I watched the whole time as they walked her and another pup around the camp area. When both pups came back they were walking like champs. No more bitting the leash, crossing around, fighting with each other just walking.

It was very commical at first watching them tug at each other but got the job done and everyone got to have some time away from the kids. AND HALEY DIDNT FIGHT THE LEASH ANYMORE.

Gohuntn

JK
02-25-2004, 08:59 AM
IMO, just put a leash on the pup and let her get accustomed to it. he/she is just being a puppy. let her drag it around and do what ever. associate it with fun and good times. then you can begin to suggest better behavior on lead during yard work (ie. sit, here, heel) you may get a metal leash as this will prevent her from chewing on it. ive seen the ole "tie it to a door knob" method work, but it is old school. consistent yard work will teach your pup to obey on lead better than anything.

jake

rounddawg
02-25-2004, 01:51 PM
Just put the leash on and let her drag it around, play some fetch with it on, she will get used to it. Use a ckoke chain if you have one. Good luck with the dawg!

waterfowler4
02-25-2004, 02:50 PM
Here is a pic of her at a1 1/2 months old. She is 3 months now. Really growing. Thanx for all the great advice.

waterfowler4

glider
03-11-2004, 11:14 AM
Good looking pup and good luck on training her.

rounddawg
03-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Nice dawg, bet you can't wait till she gets a mouthfull of her first goose, and it will be a mouthfull!:BZ: