PDA

View Full Version : distractions

VTblackfoot
02-26-2004, 05:27 AM
here's the deal...working on whistle sit. in a controled environment (indoors) he is real good and atentative, but once we get outside he thinks that eating snow is more enjoyable than paying attention and when I try to correct him (using a check cord and pinch collar) he totally freaks ie: rolls over, spins around and generally flips out. question is, how do I work past these distractions and make the training session productive?

shootem
02-26-2004, 05:33 AM
How old is the dog and how much work or OB training has he had?

JK
02-26-2004, 06:45 AM
sounds like a puppy. if so, be patient grasshopper.

jake

VTblackfoot
02-26-2004, 10:51 AM
he is 11 months old and is generally very obedient, although, he has been a real tough, headstrong dog from the beginning. he has been FF and forced on back. one thing that I should add is that this is a dog that can perform when he wants to - I mean, he knows what is expected of him and can really shine.

shootem
02-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Let go back to the basics with him. Heel; sit work on this in the yard. Every time you stop he sits ALWAYS. Do this till it is automatic. Now incorporate the whistle. Every time you stop blow one-2 second blast on the whistle. When this becomes automatic move on to here sits. Have the pup sit in front of you facing you. Tell him sit and give the single whistle blast. Move back 10 feet give the here command along with 2 or 3 short blasts on the whistle. Use one long blast to sit him directly in front of you . After this is going well use the whistle only. Start increasing the distant between you. After you have this mastered shorten up the distant between you and stop him coming to you half way in with the one long whistle blast. This should give you a start. I hope others have more to add.

VTblackfoot
02-26-2004, 06:17 PM
I guess I wasnt really clear in with my first question...the problem is not the sitting on the whistle - he will sit on a whistle at close distances, but when I try to extend the distance to like 40 or 50 feet he becomes distracted and seems to not understand. this is the crux of the problem - the distractions. then, when AI try to correct him the freak out starts. I can deal with the freak outs, but I guess I am really just wondering how to deal with distractions. SHOOTEM - do you think I should just keep drilling the whistle sit at short distances? do you think I am rushing it?

chcltlabz
02-27-2004, 05:27 AM
Ah yes, the terrible twos of the dog world. I wish I didn't know a thing about what you are explaining, but unfortunately, I do.

Just like a two year old, your dog is testing you. He is trying to find out just how much he can get away with, and when he is corrected, throwing a temper tantrum.

I think the most important thing you can do is maintain consistency. EVERY time you give a command, expect that it is followed, or correct the problem. This doesn't necessarily mean that you have to be heavy handed, but correct your dog every time he makes a mistake.

I would transfer easy commands like OB to new environments before trying to reinforce advanced stuff with him. Even the backyard can become routine, so try and vary the areas up quite a bit. If you really want to learn to deal with distractions, try and train in the local park with ducks and geese walking around. Once the novelty of these new areas wears off, you can introduce the more advanced stuff like remote sits etc. to the new areas. (these should be routine by that time, because they were introduced in the controlled environment like the house or backyard).

Try not to get too frustrated. He is after all still a puppy, and your frustration will show to him, and only make the situation worse.

Woods and Water
02-27-2004, 09:05 AM
I like the way shootem put it......go back to basic and reinforce the whistle with him......sounds like a yong male with a mind if his own........None of us has ever had to deal with that:rof: :rof: Good luck!!

VTblackfoot
02-27-2004, 12:09 PM
chcltlabz and W&W - you guys nailed it - is a young male with ahmind of his own. I know he is testing me and it drive me FRICKIN NUTS!:PO: :PO: I try to maintain, though. I guess I will just have to work through the distractions. thanks guys!