PDA

View Full Version : question??

rustygunner
03-16-2004, 11:47 AM
Hey guys, i am planning on running akc hunt test this spring in the jr division. should i just concentrate on single and doulble marks.
or can i go on to pattern field work also??? its for a 8 month blk lab male.
he has all the basics completed. i am bring him out into the field for the frist time after FF has been completed!!
rusty:HUH:

shootem
03-16-2004, 12:01 PM
Just keep on training him in a normal training program working towards a finished retriever. All things will fall into place. Before you run a hunt test your dog should be force fetched on birds including old ducks. He should also be familiar with all types of decoys on land and water. Are you following any specific training program? If you have any more questions just fire away!!!

rustygunner
03-16-2004, 01:41 PM
ive been following the 10min retriever book. I have not FF him on a duck, is FF on a old duck a correct procedure? i just finished him with the e-collar FF, it went pretty easy!do you go about FF on a duck or anything else about the sameway as a dummy?

shootem
03-16-2004, 05:56 PM
I think it is important that you force him on a duck then an old beat up stinky duck. Has he retrieved ducks yet? Has he had much for marks thrown by some one out in the field?

rustygunner
03-16-2004, 06:09 PM
I gave him a clip-winger pigeon the other day..he loved that....as far as ducks not really...i have 2 mallards and one goose in the freezer i should let out for a day or two and get really stinky...as far as marks...i have a max5000 that i have been using..i usually train alone now..my buddie is down in texas running field trials until things around here warm up....i might have to ask the wife for a toss of 2...but im not sure if she will like the ducks...that should be fun to watch..
chuck:hs:

Take A Gander
03-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Shootem is right on the money. You can get some pretty nasty birds to retrieve by the end of the day. Take your birds out and thaw them and use the same birds you started with at the end of the procedure. Keep the birds cool and away from the flies. Try to get different sizes of birds as at a hunt test you never know what is going to be used. All the best.