PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE with a FEW questions

CA DUXHNTR
03-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Hello. I've been lurking here on the dog forum for a while waiting until I could finally have somehting to talk about.

I am in the market for a pup. Got the breeder picked out and now all I'm going to have to do is train him

I'm a wildland firefighter and my job keeps me away from home a lot during the summer which is when I will have the dog. I have someone to take care of the dog while I'm gone.

I want to build a good hunting dog(as I'm sure we all do). What concerns me is that I may be on a good roll in training and then I might have to leave for 2 weeks. Will this hurt the dog??

On average, is there a "set-time" I should train the dog, like 30 minutes a day?

What are some good books/videos to help me out? I'm in the middle of "water dog" right now.

If anybody has any input, it would be greatly appreciated. I know there is some great knowledge here, thanks in advance.

Call'em N
03-27-2004, 08:54 AM
Dan
Congrats on getting a new addition. Is it a Boy or a Girl? Getting a dog has made waterfowling that much more exciting for me. It gives me a hunting partner when no one else will go.

Other than Waterdog get either the Dogtra training book or the Tritronics book. Pick up an E-collar as training will be that much easier. I have some other training books that are good and will mail them to ya for free if you will ship or give back when you are done with them. PM me your addy and the breader you are getting it from!!

IMHO at the early stages of training, starting and stopping will probably not hurt the pup but may slow training down as you will have to repeat some of the first steps of training. If you are interested in help get ahold of me. If you don't have my number I will PM it to ya.

Get ready to have some fun. Training a new Pup is a kick in the ASS!!!!!!

CA DUXHNTR
03-27-2004, 09:06 AM
Haven't got "him" yet but its in the works. Thanks for the info, its greatly appreciated.

E-collar huh??

rustygunner
03-27-2004, 05:52 PM
These guys know what they are talking about...Im a firefighter also...when i was gone for an extended amount of time while i was training my pup...i had to go back sometimes to what i was training him before on my days off...dont worry about being away..as long as you stick with it he will come out just fine!!
rusty!!
oh yeah..a e-collar is a must!!

huntingmarsh
03-30-2004, 07:23 PM
Good luck on find the right dog!! Make sure the pup you pick meets all your standards before you take it home though. 30 mintues should be plunty of time to train you pup.

Corey

CA DUXHNTR
03-30-2004, 09:06 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. After A LOT of thought, I am going to wait until after fire season and get the dog so I can spend LOTS of quality time with him.

And it'll give me time to "puppy-proof" the new house:rf: :LOL: