PDA

View Full Version : Dog food problem

huntingmarsh
03-29-2004, 08:00 PM
Hey guys i've got a little problem and I need some help to see if I can fix it. Everyday I feed my year old female lab with enough food to fill her dog pan which is about a scoop in a half of food. Well everyday I would knowtist her dog food would be scattered around her dog pan........well awhile back I filled up her dog pan with her food and she took her nose and pushed out about half of the food in the pan. Shes been doing it for awhile now and its getting to be a problem because I have to clean it up everyday. I haven't seen any problems with her wieght or anything so I dont' think she is sick. I'm wondering if she just doens't like the food i'm giving her or just thinks the bottom of the food is better than the top.:hs: :hs:

Corey

win300us
03-29-2004, 08:19 PM
Maybe try giving her the amount she pushes out of her bowl less maybe she would pick it up and eat the rest

shootem
03-29-2004, 11:03 PM
What dog food are your feeding and how much in cups per day are you feeding???

gw-smith
03-30-2004, 06:39 AM
Maybe some Prozac is in order?? But seriously as Shootem asked - how many times a day do you feed her, what dog food are you feeding her, and how many cups.

huntingmarsh
03-30-2004, 07:06 PM
I feed her high protein dog food, that we've been feeding our dogs for years, and a little mix of kibbles an bites. I will fill up her pan at night and I put enough dog food in the pan for one day . I have school till 3 and then I have track practice till about 5 so I wouldn't really have time to give her a cup pf food every morning an night. Before she was pushing out the food she would eat all of it no prob..... I've tried not mixing the kibbles an bites in her regular food but she just wouldn't eat it as much.

Corey

gw-smith
03-30-2004, 08:58 PM
My guess is that your dog is "sorting" through the food to get the kibble and bits before she eats the other food. She probably likes this food better and noses the other food out onto the floor to try and get all the kibbles and bits. Try the following experiment for 3 days and see what happens.

When you put the food down at night put it in 2 separate bowls. Put her regular dog food in one bowl and the kibbles and bits in another (same amounts of each you are feeding now). She is likely to eat all of the kibble and bits and little to none of the other dog food. The first day or two she might knock some of the regular dog food out (assuming more kibbles and bits might be in the bowl) however after she gets used to it my guess is that she will stop knocking food out of the bowl.

This hasn't necessarily solved your problem if it works because obviouly you are trying to mix the kibbles and bits into her regular food to encourage her to eat more. However if she is truly sorting through the food and you don't want to keep picking it up you have basically 3 choices that I can think of:

1) Quit feeding her the kibbles and bits - hopefully over a period of a couple of weeks she will get hungry enough and start eating the normal amounts of her regular dog food.

2) Feed only the Kibbles and Bits - this obviously isn't as healthy as the other dog food and wouldn't be the choice I would recommend but if this is the food she likes and you are tired of cleaning up the mess - this is a possibility.

3) Try mixing a little canned dog food (1/3 of a can) into her regular dog food every night. This will encourage her to eat it and she won't really want to knock the other food on the floor to sort through the food.

Let me know what happens.

huntingmarsh
03-31-2004, 07:41 PM
Sounds like a good idea I doubt i'll try the all kibbles an bits just because its not heathly and is also expensive for my lab. Thanks for the edvice.

Corey

Eric
04-01-2004, 06:59 AM
Corey, when my female lab was about 13 mo.'s old she started to get real picky with her food. She also seemed to loose her concentration pretty regularly while we were training. It got to a point where she had little or no appetite. I only feed her once a day. Typically she would snarf up her food in about 10 minutes, but at 13 mo's she seemed like she wanted nothing to do with her food. To make a long story short, she was coming into season. Now that it has passed, everything is back to normal. Keep us updated on how thing play out!

rustygunner
04-02-2004, 04:09 PM
I had the same problem with my bitch..at 13 months she stopped scarffing it up and i noticed that it would take her all day to eat 1.5 cups....sometimes in the morning when i would air her she would still have the same amount of dog food in her bowl...
she was going into heat...now that it is over she is also back to normal..
also her attention span was for sh*t when training...now that she is done with it she is getting back to normal
rusty