PDA

View Full Version : honkers for training

MTGRNHEAD
04-16-2004, 01:47 PM
i would like to find out any info if i can purchase honker gosslings. for training my young chesapeake. First is this legal? second if it is where in the heck can i find some?
thank you for your input.
ryan
:wak:

rustygunner
04-16-2004, 09:14 PM
thats a good guestion, ive kept a goose from last year to train with, but i am not sure if you can purchase a canada goose.....maybe a domestic goose?

Cut-um
04-16-2004, 09:40 PM
I'm sure you can find Canada gosslings on the web for sale such as you can find Mallards or other game birds since they are brought up in a domestic enviornment...:Rich:

Road Runner
04-17-2004, 04:17 AM
In Ontario we need special permits to have wild or migratory birds in captivity.They can be a real pain in the as.:Rich:

skb20
04-17-2004, 08:51 AM
I think RR is right about a permit being required, stateside also. There may be exemptions for the mallard-like products often used in field trials, etc, but I'm pretty sure that keeping any wild-type waterfowl in captivity requires a permit. Probably a federal permit, I would guess. Your local CO should know, or be able to find out for you.

MTGRNHEAD
04-17-2004, 10:08 PM
my pup did great this year on geese. he just don't pick them up right away, it takes him about 30 seconds to a minute and alot of coaxing. i know he is young and hopefully grow out of it. it just a pain when you got more geese coming to the spread and i blowing on the whistle instead of my short reed. i think if i got some goslings and work him with them as they grow over the summer, by fall a full grown honker would be nothing for him. i do have a frozen honker in the freezer for training. i haven't tried it yet. any suggestions on the best way to train with it. so he isn't picking it up wrong or mauling it before he acually picks it up?
ryan

BEAR CALLER
04-17-2004, 10:32 PM
I had a hard time getting birds also for training my retriever to fetch. I never had any saved up because I never knew I was getting a dog so I ended up buying one of those Dokken training dummies. It looks like a goose and has a weight which would be equal to a smaller goose and this will train the dog to retrieve an object of this size. I realize you were looking for live birds but I couldn't find any eithier so this is the path I took. Later on when the season was open I just clipped a few wings here and there and attached them to the dummy for the smell thing. Just another option. :CF:

Bail
04-30-2004, 09:05 AM
I bet that if you just keep doing what you're doing and not give up that next year he'll run right out and pick them up right away. He's just a pup right? I had the same problems with my chessie and now he's the man. Must've been 3 years ago he brought back two 15 lbs. canadas. It was an awesome sight. Even my buddy couldn't believe he could do that. Of course we forgot our cameras that day. Anyway....good luck with your pup. I have no doubt he'll turn into a great dog for you.
Kyle

chcltlabz
05-03-2004, 07:31 AM
Something I've run into, that may make you think....

If you keep birds that you killed for training birds, they can be considered wanton waste, unless you take the meat off them.

I breast all my birds, or I just buy pen raised birds for training. I've never had a problem with a breasted bird, I just put a single wrap of duct tape around them.

MTGRNHEAD
05-03-2004, 07:29 PM
kyle
how old was your chessie before he matured out of a puppy into a dog? yes buck is a pup year and months old. he loves the birds!

does your chessie handle, and take lines?
i'm working my dog with that now. he is board with running to buckets so i throw a thawed duck out there every now and then, man you should see him run (almost lab like) on the second line. but i have hell getting him to pick up a dummy. he wants the bird.:CF: :CZ: :GM:
drives me nuts he will just look at me.
ryan