PDA

View Full Version : cheating?

rustygunner
04-16-2004, 09:19 PM
ok, i need to know a good way to dee-cheat my pup from running around a water mark.....
example- single mark, water-land-water, on the run out dog dose water land water on the return dog does not do water..runs around first water and than to land to water....he cheats the first water on the way back...dose that make sense....
rusty

Labber
04-18-2004, 05:38 AM
1st, that mark should not be near a shoreline, it should be in the middle where there is less temtation to beach. The dog sould be on a long lead that you can hold onto the whole way. When he gets to it you say here or come and tug on the line gently just as you would on land. With success, gradually work the mark closer to shore. I would run from the crossing spit of land and be there as he picks up the bumper. As soon as he gets it start calling him to you. If he gets gets out at the side, grab the thin lead that he should be dragging. Scold him a bit for getting out at the wrong spot. Toss the bumper back to the middle of the pond, and be at his proper exit place when he gets to his bumper. At the spit of land that he likes to cheat around (Where you are now standing) sit him down and take his bumper. Walk around to the next shore where he was origionally sent from. Toss his bumper to the middle of the water '1/2 way between you and him and call him to you to pick it up. If he tries to run around tell him NO! walk him back and return to your spot. (At the shoreline) call him again.
Repeat until he gets the idea. Make it more trouble to cheat on land than it is to just come straight to you.
I am assuming the command Here has been taught and reinforced on land first.
This should take a few days or more. Once he understands it, find other places with the same concept and maintain your standard.

shootem
04-18-2004, 06:37 PM
Is your dog taking hand signals yet? Has he been through the T or double T or the swimby? If he hasn't he is not ready for cheating singles. Do you have Evanís book?

rustygunner
04-18-2004, 08:36 PM
Shootem, no i have not done any hand signals yet, is that something that is required for correcting cheating?never herd of evans book?no
what do you mean by T or doulble T, or swimby...i am tell you my knowledge of amatur training!
any help would be great!

shootem
04-19-2004, 07:52 PM
To develop a fully trained retriever you should be following some training program. Before you start working on cheating singles your dog should be through the complete basic training program. The T and double T are handling patterns used to teach a dog to handle. This is a link to an excellent training program.
http://www.rushcreekpress.com/pages/899089/index.htm

rustygunner
04-25-2004, 02:11 PM
thx shootem, the books are great!

Woods and Water
04-26-2004, 07:57 AM
Shootem hit the nail on thehead.......sounds like you already invested in the books....nice!:cool:

rustygunner
04-26-2004, 08:28 PM
WW, yep got them the other day, good product, cant wait to start using the methods, my two pups had their fist pass in a jr hunt test this past weekend...im really pumped up!!
rusty:Rich: