PDA

View Full Version : To cut or not to cut - that is the ?????

GOOSKI
04-23-2004, 10:58 AM
Just curious what people's opinion is on this. I used to be a die hard "not to cut" guy. But, my youngest dog drove me and my wife fricken nuts. So, I begrudgingly let my wife win this battle and he got cut. Best decision I ever made. Now he is a real gentleman. Before all he thought of was gettin after it.

Call'em N
04-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Personally I think it depends on the dog. If you do not have plans to bread the dog than by all means fix it.

I had to have my dog fixed due to her getting knocked up by a stray Pit Bull that broke into the kennel. She had 14 pups per ultrasound and started getting really sick and pretty much a miserable wreck. I took her to 3 different vets as I wanted to be sure about my decision. I kick my self every time I think about it as she has developed in to a great dog. She is IMHO a beautiful Yellow Lab.

I will have to say that the heat cycle she went through pretty much sucked and was a pain in the ass for me as well.

By the way the Pit Bull is burried out on the back of the property as the owner was unwilling to keep the dog locked up.

gw-smith
04-23-2004, 03:54 PM
Most veterinarians will tell you that definitely the dog should be spayed or neutered unless you are sure you will breed them. I agree with this but it is even more important for females. Getting a bitch spayed before her first heat cycle significantly decreases the risks of some major medical problems (ie. mammay cancer, etc) that may develop in life. Once you miss this window you can still spay her but you have lost most of the medical benefit.

For males you can take a "wait and see" attitude sometimes - however if they have a dominant personality and are neutered at several years of age - they may not change. So - yes - it is best to cut however I have to say that my dog is a male and is still intact.

rustygunner
04-29-2004, 08:22 PM
gw,
when my bitch went into heat for the first time this past winter, she became very hard to train, no paying attention, bullheaded..is that normal for a bitch? or could it just be a my dog?
after she was done she seemed to return to her happy...fun loving retriever.she got all of her spuck back and desire to retrieve.
rusty

gw-smith
05-01-2004, 08:01 AM
that's pretty normal - just like a woman their attitude totally changes somtimes during a "heat"

sewerat
05-02-2004, 12:40 AM
MY GIRL ALWAYS GOES INTO HEAT JUST ABOUT OPENING DAY AND SHE IS SO DAMN STUBBORN AND BULLHEADED, WONT LISTEN TO A WORD I SAY OR DO A THING SHE IS SUPPOSED TO DO, GO THRU THIS EVERY YEAR FOR THE LAST 3 SEASONS WITH HER I THINK IF I HAVEN'T FOUND A SUITABLE MALE FOR HER BUY THEN END OF THIS YEAR I AM GOING TO GET HER DONE :bh:

huntingmarsh
05-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Most Vets try telling you to fix them when they are younger like 7-9 weeks old I think just because its easier. I let my female be maybe in a few years I'll find a good stud but not for awhile.

Corey

gw-smith
05-06-2004, 01:13 PM
7 to 9 weeks is too young - 4 months or so is fine.