PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Blind ?

rounddawg
04-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Any of you trainers out there have an opinion on Pattern Blinds. I just started teaching them and want to know when you run them cold. I started by teaching each leg first. After four days I have all three legs started. I sit the dawg walk out and let him see me place all three birds, then I send him to each leg from my side. How do you know he knows them well enough to run cold?

shootem
04-24-2004, 09:15 AM
Are you following any training program?? Has he been FF or CC? Has he had all the yard work first? Have you done FTP The T or double T. With a little more information we can better answer your questions.

rounddawg
04-24-2004, 03:58 PM
I am following Lardy's program. I have forced to pile, CC, FF, T, and TT, and walking baseball. I have not done swim by yet I am waiting for the water to warm up. I just stopped the TT about a week ago. I have a BLM, he is 1 1/2. I think I covered it all. I am currently working on 8 handed casting and the wagon wheel in the yard. Oh his name is Bart.

shootem
04-24-2004, 05:09 PM
I would first do site blinds or permanent blinds. After he masters some, start to stretch them out in length. Try to set up different ones in different fields and see how he handles them. I think you are close to starting some easy cold blinds.

rounddawg
04-25-2004, 05:46 AM
When you say site blinds? Do you mean let the dog watch the birds be placed in the fields, that way he will get the idea that there is a retrieve out there. Because that is how I am setting up right now. When I send him, he is lining them out, except for one and I need one handle on that blind, it is the last one I taught.

shootem
04-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Site blinds are called that because you use an object that lets them know where the dummies are. Like a White 5 gal bucket. Place the dummies in front of the bucket and start back 25 yards and after each susessful retrieve move back 25 yards. Then with the dog in his crate go out and set up several he hasn't seen with the bucket as a reference point. Run these at 25 yards cold then do some at fifty and work your way back. After he is doing well on this move on to permanent blinds. Show him where the dummies are but no bucket. Repeat closely moving back. After several days come back and run the same blind in the same place cold with out showing him the pile. This is how they got the name permanent blinds. Also keep up the handling drills and you know what the next step is.

rounddawg
04-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Shootem
I am marking the blinds now with an orange stake. But I will step back and try the site blinds with the white buckets as markers. I am running the pattern blinds at 100 to 150 yards currently. Just not cold yet. Should I still start out short 25 yds or so to teach the site blinds?

shootem
04-25-2004, 06:12 PM
Yes then try some permanent blinds also. Start at 25 yards and work up to a 100-yard blind. Run it a couple of times then come back a couple of days later and do the exact same blind cold from 100 yards. Remember you always set to dog up to succeed never fail!!!

fastlanelabs
05-11-2004, 10:23 AM
before leaving pattern blinds, teach him what a pioson bird is about, running through scent, off the back of the gun, past a bird crate, etc... it's a wonderful drill, so much can be taught off the legs of the pattern blind.

rounddawg
05-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Thanks fellas for all advice! I have been using the white buckets for the sight blinds. It is working great. He is locking on wonderful and is lining them out to well over a hundred yards with lots of momentum. I have started 2 pattern blind fields with him now and that is looking awesome. I will start to add some diversions this weekend! Thanks again.:cool: