PDA

View Full Version : Hold

huntingmarsh
04-27-2004, 08:40 PM
I've got a 1 year old Lab that I've been messing around with force fetch since her teeth came in but I've been really working on it lately and she is improving better and better everyday. I have it were she will hold it while sitting and standing but when I tell her to come she will still drop it right when she comes to me. I've tried the running backwards thing but she will still drop it. I'm sure if I keep working on her she'll get it but if you can help me it would be nice. Thanks

Corey

rustygunner
04-28-2004, 09:41 PM
your dog needs to understand the HOLD command before you start FF her....make sure if she is mouthing what ever object you using..that you give her a good hand under her lower jaw to enforce the hold...stick with it!! 2-3 times a day for 15 minutes or less...always remeber to end on a positive note!!!
im not a pro...but there are alot of good guys here who know wha they are talking about!
rusty

sprigkiller09
04-29-2004, 01:56 PM
I agree with Rusty the hand on the jaw to enforce the hold is a good option. Does the dog know the fetch command?? What temperment is the dog?? Does it like to please?? Cause another option is an electric collar to enforce the hold. Point down at the bumper and when you say fetch hit the button and more often than not it will pick it up. If the dog really likes to please though i would discourage this as it might be afraid from that point on. Another thing you can do id holf the bumper in front of your dogs nose and tell her to fetch and on the command hit the button. This will get the point across. Also when she drops the bumper as she runs back to you hit the button and yell fetch. If she is not sure what to do though place the bumper in her mouth. Hope this helps.

shootem
04-29-2004, 03:45 PM
Hey Corey
Send me your phone number in a PM and I will call you tonight!!!

greyghost16
04-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Corey, There are detaled instructions on how to go about teaching "hold" and "fetch" available from various sources. I paid a pro to help me to do the job as right as possible and I wouldn't have done a good job without her help. Different dogs have different responses to the pressure and you need some source of information to refer to when you don't understand why the dog is displaying a behavior. "Smartfetch" by Evan Graham is a very good book! I have a couple of instructionals printed on about three pages each and would be glad to send a copy if you want it. If you use an e-collar at some point, it should be after the dog has been conditioned to the collar using known understood commands.

huntingmarsh
05-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Lately I've been working on the hold everyday and yes she is improving, but when starts to walk she just thinks she can drop it. So i've been walking her and tapping the bottom of her jaw while walking with the object in her mouth. I can have her hold it in her mouth and then I can walk away with her sitting there with it in her mouth but right when I say come she drops it and comes to me. I was told to try putting something in her mouth and then putting a string over her snout to keep her from opening it. Marsh isn't that much of a pleaser but she will sit, heal, and do all the obeidence things no matter what. My cell # is 580 8423 give me a hollar.

Corey

MTGRNHEAD
05-03-2004, 07:49 PM
corey
i by no means am i a pro, but i had the same problem as you. when my dog dropped the dummy while walking. i talk kinda harshly at him picked up the dummy, opened his mouth, then shoved the dummy in his mouth, slapped his jaw shut from underneith his bottom jaw. and told him harshly to HOLD! HOLD! buck is a pleaser and is a soft dog. i only made him hold for a few step like 2 at first, then gradulaly made it longer. making sure i made him heel sit and drop into my hand. then praised the hell out of him. after a week he would do anything with the dummy in his mouth (sit, heel, here, kennel into the back of a truck.) and never drop it. unless i said drop.
good luck
ryan
:wak:

huntingmarsh
05-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Today while training I put the dummy in her mouth and tapped up on her jaw while saying come back and forth. After a few times she figured out what I was wanting. I then brought her down on the ground and put a lease on her and tapped on the jaw and said heel and she did walk with the dummy in her mouth until I said drop. Thanks for the help i'm going to keep working on her for awhile.

Corey