PDA

View Full Version : Hunting fields

Gooseguy
08-11-2000, 02:11 PM
This year I scouted alot of fields and found a decent bunch of fields in southern Minnesota. I have wheat fields,sweet corn, hay, oats, peas, alfalfa, and silage fields all within a close distance to good lakes. I was wondering, if all huntable(which won't be the case), which one one would be the most desireable to geese. Most of them are decent sized fields, and are all in the same general area.
Do field size, crop type, freshness since harvest, availability of crop, or distance from lake have any influence on the field geese choose to feed in? Also, one of them is a very concealed hay field, hard to even tell its there, no road to it, and is pretty big. I think would be a good spot?I know the answer to some of these questions, but would like to know how all these connect.
I know this is a complicated question, but will help me alot.
Thanks

Ben-IA
08-11-2000, 02:47 PM
Here in SE Iowa and Western Illinois those early season geese hit the freshest cut corn field they can find. Which fields have the geese been using? I would use the field that they are in the day before opening day.
Ben

Wtrfwlr
08-11-2000, 05:38 PM
Ben-IA is right, you will want to watch your fields the week before the season opens. I have noticed alot of geeese using the alfalfa and hay fields in early September. They like the green grass for grazing. I rarely see them in hay or alfalfa after the first hard frost. Just my observations.

BaRtMaN
08-11-2000, 09:54 PM
I see them in the alfalfa alot here in Michigan but, not after sept 1rst they are in the fresh cut wheat,or green chopped corn fields. I also see them in the soy and green beans too but, not like a fresh chopped corn field. they only hang in that field for a week or less then they move on. it doesnt take them long to clean out a field but, they will be back if the farmer plants winter wheat. they will eat it as it comes up. http://64.176.94.12/ubb/biggrin.gif hope this makes sense...lol

------------------
"TAKE'EM" BaRtMaN

Flocknocker
08-11-2000, 10:05 PM
For us here it would be peas, peas and then peas. Then wheat, hehe. But like some of the others said you will know a few days ahead which fields they like the best,just go for a ride.

------------------
Flocknocker
"We're All About Geese"

take-um
08-15-2000, 04:22 AM
we try to hunt whereever the geese are they tell us what fields they want to eat in and hopefully we can get permission,typically we hunt green stuff until after a heavy frost then move to wheat and corn.i don't think i've seen a pea field in these parts