PDA

View Full Version : Goose bands - How many?

goosejuicer
08-12-2000, 06:29 AM
I've seen the pictures of guides and championship callers with a lanyard full of bands. Personally, between my brother and I, we have 3 goose bands. How many banded geese have you guys shot. Be honest - this doesn't include the ones you bought on ebay(hehehe). All three geese were banded within 15 kilometers(10 miles) of where we live. Throw in an interesting story about a banded goose if you have one.

Bill Collector
08-12-2000, 07:29 AM
I have never shot a banded goose. I think my dad may have tho. In recent history we have shot a few banded goldeneyes, and canvasbacks. I just got a cert from a can I shot in 1995. It was at least 13 years old!

Also, I found a band on the sandy point where we hunt ducks. I called in the numbers on the band and carefully explained to them that I found the band washed up on shore and it was not attached to a bird. I said it was very large and I thought maybe it was from a pelican. One of the last things the lady asked was, "Now where did you shoot this bird?" I don't know if she was that ditsy or trying to trick me!

Can someone please tell me why guys are buying bands and paying so much for them? Is it to put on their lanyard and pretend they shot them like Zink or Foiles? or is there a legitamate reason?

Thanks,
NR

------------------
Bill Collector

I collect bluebills, ringbills, spoonbills or any fowl with a bill!

wingfeather
08-12-2000, 10:51 AM
There are other hunters out there besides Zink and Foiles that shoot banded birds. I my self have a half a lanyard full it depends were you hunt. I hunt refuge birds over in canada and the average last year was every 10th bird was a orange collar.We dont kill that many banded birds in southeast Mi but on the western part of the state they shoot quite a few it all depends on the area were the birds are banded and if your in the migration path.Good luck and have a safe hunting season. Bob,

Blackduck
08-12-2000, 11:43 AM
I got one, but I'm hoping that number will go up slightly come sept 1st(I'm gonna hunt a flock with 3 bibs and several more leggers. Man I hope they come in.)

My bird was banded in NY in july or august of 99 and shot in the mountains of VA in feb of 00. He was a molt migrant staying near lake Erie. I popped him at 45-50 yards with BB's three times and he kept going. Then about 500 yards away he splits from the flock, cuts across a cow pasture, and falls from the sky. I went trespassing to get him and man am I glad I did, hehehe. He had 5 pellets lodged in his body cavity. He bled to death on the inside as he flew away. That's why you need to watch those birds you thought you missed, especially on long shots. I saw a blind shoot into a flock of mallards once and the mallards hauled ass outta there and were about 200 yards up and 700 yards from this blind and a hen cups up, and then falls straight down. The blind had no idea what had happened, but we got the bird and took it to them. I also shot a goose in the ass once at 50 yards(I felt obligated to try to kill it, even on a very bad and long shot, since we had just shot all his flockmates) and I knew I hit him, even though everyone else said I didn't, so I fired up the boat and went looking, and I found him washed up on shore about three quarters of a mile away, very dead(and steaming through his wounds). In fact, I almost always fire up the boat and go look for crips after shooting up a flock. One day in the sept resident season things were slow for us, so I cruised the lake nice and slow along shorelines, and I found 3 geese all at least 500 yards from any blind, with no one seeming to be looking for them, and it was midday after most people had left the lake. I think most people give up on birds too easy(you can't help it sometimes, but other times you can). So chase those crips(even the ones your buddies say aren't hit). Maybe they have a band.

goosejuicer
08-12-2000, 01:40 PM
Wingfeather, good idea on telling how you got the banded birds. The banded goose I got last year was in February as well. We were hunting on a river as all standing water was frozen in our parts and all the geese were using the river. We were on an island, basically waiting for flybys. My brother and a friend floated upriver and met us around 11:00 on the island. A few minutes later a large flock flew low over top of us. We dropped four birds, two of which had bands. Both were tagged close to where we were hunting.

buck_master_2001
08-12-2000, 03:17 PM
I have 4 banded geese.I got them by hunting in southern Michigan.I have 1 neck band.Down in Ohio where all the good hunting is refuges about 1/3 of the birds u shoot is banded.I went looking at geese over at magee marsh in Ohio and I seen 33 geese....16 were banded with 4 having neck bands.

Bill Collector
08-12-2000, 03:33 PM
Sounds like Wingfeather got his feathers a little ruffled.

My question was "why do guys buy other guy's bands?"

Can anyone answer?

NR

------------------
Bill Collector

I collect bluebills, ringbills, spoonbills or any fowl with a bill!

Heavy Gougin'
08-12-2000, 04:06 PM
I have shot two banded geese in my ripe age of 21. However, I only have one band. My first was a banded ross goose with both neck and leg bands. Pretty slim odds on them snow geese! Next comes the story. I flock of 50 or so honkers came into the dekes and three of us layed into them. I missed to EASY shoots and drizzeled 1 down after my buddies each crunched a pair. When my dog brought the goose back it had a leg band! Of course both of them tried to claim this still lively goose after they just got done giving me shit because I crippled one and they crunched both of theirs. Anyway to make a long story short Jon was using one of my calls so he just put the band on the lanyard. Later that afternoon while chasing a cripple all over the section he lost the call because he didn't have the lanyard around his neck. Never did find it. And to make matters worse, My other buddy shot a banded honker the same day while I was catching some z's in the dekes. Guess it just wasn't my day!

Heavy Gougin'

Ben-IA
08-12-2000, 04:11 PM
I only have one goose band that I shot at Swan Lake in MO. We just don't get many banded geese here in SE Iowa.
Ben

Bill Collector,
To answer your question about why people buy bands is for either a collection or to try to impress people with a lanyard full of bands. The latter happening more often than not.
Ben

[This message has been edited by Ben-IA (edited 08-12-2000).]

Mallardslayer
08-12-2000, 04:42 PM
I have a total of 7 Goose bands and one neck collar, 22 duck bands. This doesn't include the one we had to flip for and loss (3). We were hunting geese and the wind was coming hard and cold it was a miserable day (man I love this type of weather) there was snow on the ground and we were in our whites. The first flock got up and I started to flag, but our attempts to lure the majestic Canada Goose had failed. The second flock got up and the butt scent was in the air for them to follow, well they started to mingle around and I started to call. I told my buddy to flag and he told me that they would not see because the wind was blowing so hard that snow was coming up off the ground. I got the flag from him and I started to flag and call in between. The geese turned and started to drop altitude. They started to glide in as we lay hunkered down behind a Big Foot. I told my two buddies not to move as I clucked in the big honkers, eight in total. The honks were locked up double-clucking and moanin their way in. Just as they started to back peddle I called the shot. The geese dropped right in the landing zone I had steup for them, big mistake! I shot three, one of my buddies shot two, the other guy shot two dead in the decoys, missed the third one he started to tell me call it back, call it back I got on the goose call and gave it the ole come back and help us call and it turned, it to went down. Well finally the momnet of truth we wnent to pick up the Geese and ALL EIGHT were banded. WE shot up the whole village man, it was great eight banded birds. There were four consecutive bands but neither of us got them. Whew that was exciting just telling the story. My buddy that got the two bands that day had shot his limit (3 back then) the day before and two of the geese were banded. Lucky bum he got four bands in two days. Now go to the bathroom and wipe the saliva off you cheek. I know goose season is just a few days away and you can hang in there be strong.

Shoot'em between the eyes.

jimfaststeel
08-12-2000, 04:42 PM
Don't know what the big deal is about bands. Don't get me wrong, it is kind of neat to see where they come from and how old they are but my 21 leg and 1 neck collar stay in the game room. IMHO all they do is make noise and some shine, which is the last thing I want when hunting. Just my opinion.

Duxrule
08-13-2000, 06:03 AM
I don't want to rock the boat or anything. but gotta ask Blackduck about taking the long shots and ass-end shots instead of waiting for better shots? I guess with steel, 50 yards is a long way to be shooting a big ol' gander, and the ass end shot isn't a great idea either...IMHO. I think we owe it to ourselves and the geese to try to take game as cleanly as possible. If an anti comes in and reads posts about us taking shots that are questionable, it won't matter if we go 2 MILES looking for the wounded bird. Again, not to rock things in here, but just an opinion.

------------------
Goose hunting-it's not just a job...it's an addiction

buckduck
08-13-2000, 06:32 AM
I have five goose one duck and no story.

------------------
Appose gun control.It`s hard to hit ducks with rocks

tsodak
08-13-2000, 07:59 AM
Last fall I was hunting our locals here the first weeek of October, and the first flock of snows to come down came waltzing by. They were there about three weeks earlier than any others. Anyway, they were up there, and I picked one out and down he came. Imagine my suprise when he landed and there was both a neck and a leg band. I was pumped. Anyway, we don't get that many bands around here, so we look more at size tan jewelry. Later

------------------
Smell that powder

letemwork
08-13-2000, 12:42 PM
I can tell you a neat story about two of my neck bands I collected!I was driving thru a park and noticed everybody feeding these geese so I got out my camcorder and started filming and was shocked to see this many birds come into this little park.
When I noticed that most of the birds came from the north I decided to go find a field north of there and get permission and hunt the next day!
I got permission to hunt a field about two miles away and was suprised to get our limit very quickly and out of the three geese two were neck collard and to top it off they were almost in order with K194 & k198.
I noticed about a month later while watching the film of what I shot film of the day before but k198 and k194 was on film being fed by some kids in the park!

------------------
!!!LETEMWORK!!!!
!!WHO YELLED LETEMWORK!!

woodrow
08-13-2000, 04:55 PM
As already mentioned were you hunt has alot to do with it I think. When I first started hunting I would get the odd goose band mostly from michigan but lately at one of the places we hunt we've been shooting lots of banded birds got 7 last year one was banded in Ft Albany N.W.T.

goosejuicer
08-13-2000, 08:27 PM
Great stories...what about you Flocknocker? How many hundred bands do you have?

Flocknocker
08-13-2000, 10:44 PM
Well funny you should ask I guess I have a lot less than I thought I did. I had some anchor cord from and old decoy filled about three of four foot long with bands I have got all over the country and Canada. Well I just took a trip to the family cabin we have on a local lake and they are gone. Along with a bunch of other good junk. Well I guess my mother went down and did a bit of cleaning a while back. I also had some old polls with the old glass eyes and some real old reels. Well I just got home and asked my mother who now lives with me because of a sroke what she did with them. WELL SHE SAYS I GAVE SOME TO THE NICE KIDS AND THE DIRTY STRING WITH ALL THE RINGS I THREW AWAY.Well shit I guess I have the few I have on my lanyard. We get very few banded birds in my area so I guess I better start a new dirty string of rings.

Oh hey I just thought I just got a new group of Flocknocker Goose bands 1-500 they are in order so beat that one, hehe.

------------------
Flocknocker
"We're All About Geese"

Blackduck
08-19-2000, 06:27 PM
Duxrule, sorry about the wait, but I've been offline for a week. Not to sound like an ass, but I'm not sure how else to put this... You asked me why I didn't wait for a better shot on that 50 yard ass shot goose. Well, if you had read my post closer you'd of seen "...(I felt obligated to try to kill it, even on a very bad and long shot, since we had just shot all his flockmates)...". To expand on this, 6 geese had come in to about 20 or 25 yards with a mind to land, and 3 of us had dropped 5 of them, and then there was that one goose hauling ass away and I felt like having the whole flock, especially since we weren't seeing many geese. Certainly I could have let him go, and maybe I should have, but I definitely couldn't have waited for a better shot, at least not on that goose, because he was leaving for good.

Maybe that justifies my actions a little more. Maybe not. But I'd probably take that shot again in the same situation.