PDA

View Full Version : flyers and "real" retrieves

VTblackfoot
05-24-2004, 02:51 PM
just curious what I should expect from my dog when we go to fliers and retrieving real birds this summer? he is FF and CC, not breaking on dummies and into school blinds? Is everything gonna go down the drain or should I expect a small setback with a quick recovery?

chcltlabz
05-25-2004, 05:02 AM
Has your dog hunted, or had birds shot over it before? If so, you may see some excitement from the real birds, and some breaking. You may see it anyways, but I wouldn't discourage him too much at first. You want that enthusiasm.

I would start with dead birds first, so there is a little less excitement, then transition in poppers if you haven't been using them up until now (poppers and a shotgun, not just a starter pistol). Then move to remote shot flyers (someone else shoots them) then to you shooting flyers.

I would also do some work with ducks, not just pigeons, and don't be surprised if your dog doesn't like to retrieve pigeons. Some dogs hate the feel of the soft feathers in their mouth. Might be better to start with ducks to prevent any association with live birds and those feathers.

I try and use ducks as often as possible, and fill in with pigeons for costs sake.

Labber
06-21-2004, 05:29 AM
Dead pigeons tend to create mouthing issues.
I shoot live flyers. My dogs love them.
Is your dog steady? If so, when shooting flyers for them, make sure you maintain the standard.
At first, get someone else to throw and shoot themwhile you enforce "SIT". After a dozen or more over a few weeks, get someone else to ensure your dog is steady while you shoot.
Good hunting practice.

wetdawg
06-29-2004, 05:47 AM
Major loves live flyers! Most dogs who have trained to hunt get more gregarious with them, so continue to be firm, reinforce delivery to hand commands, and watch for runners.
I have found that depending on the bird type, feathers may become an opportunity for reinforcing the bench skills you have trained with beumpers/dumbelss...so you might consider getting your dog a dead bird before the day of the shooting...just a few minutes for the dog to snuffle, hold, deliver to hand, in a quiet place...just as you would do when exposing the young pup to a birds wing...this will be the point where pup wants to bring it to you, again and again! Enjoy the time!
:DB: