PDA

View Full Version : how do most of ya chase the geese from the roost to the feild

pagooseman
08-14-2000, 05:51 PM
I have this problem of always getting permission to hunt feilds to close to the roost. I bring in a a good bit of geese but I could prolly get more if I found the real feild they feed in.

Goose Hunter
08-14-2000, 10:50 PM
During the evening, drive around until you find the geese in the field, then get permission, and next morning set up your decoys. Scouting is a beautiful thing.

------------------
Eat, Sleep, Hunt, & work on flocknocker's GREAT LOOKING website.

take-um
08-15-2000, 05:02 AM
we know the ponds and pits that the geese roost on so we watch until they get up(we let the first few groups go then start following) then we drive as fast as we can to keep up and follow to where ever they land.if we can't get permission on that field we try to get it directly on their route so at least they go over us

goosejuicer
08-15-2000, 06:05 AM
Another option is to drive the country roads in and around areas you know geese are roosting. As you're driving, use binoculars to scout fields for feeding geese. this may be more time efficient than waiting at the roost for them to fly. After you have located a field, you can try and get permission. However, this doesn't tell you when and where the geese came from.

------------------
"I hate those geeses to pieces."

IDBrian
08-15-2000, 08:52 AM
I like to park somewhere near the roost area that gives me a good view of the lake. I watch with binoculars until I find some good flocks coming off the lake. Then I drive like hell trying to keep up with them and find the field they're in. You've heard the term "wild goose chase". This is where they got it. I like to follow the flocks that are feeding as far from the refuge as possible. It is much easier to get permission.

[This message has been edited by IDBrian (edited 08-15-2000).]

Flocknocker
08-15-2000, 09:16 AM
We try and use two rigs or more with radios. One will get up high as we can and glass the area. The others follow birds out to the fields. We mark the areas the birds were flying and then try and find the rest. Works much easier with two or three rigs.I know for some this is not an option. If I were by myself I would sit high and watch all the birds come back from feeding and roost. Then I would be out under the flyway with the most geese in the morning. Then I would follow the first bunch to the field then head for the next flyway of birds and keep doing this till a ran out of birds in the air. Then I go back and count birds on the ground to see what my best options are. Then if you have to start knocking on doors do it. I spend twice as much time scouting than I do hunting.

------------------
Flocknocker
"We're All About Geese"

buckduck
08-15-2000, 11:29 AM
Consistently successful hunter always spend as much or more time scouting than hunting.That how to stay consistent.

------------------
Appose gun control.It`s hard to hit ducks with rocks

jimfaststeel
08-15-2000, 03:41 PM
I also spend more time scouting than hunting. Sure is a nice feeling going to bed the night before a hunt, that I've got a hot field waiting for us the next day. Doesn't get any better.

goosejuicer
08-15-2000, 06:32 PM
I agree about the importance of scouting, We figure our success rate on getting permission is less than 10%. That makes scouting even more important. Is it hard for you guys to get permission? I know I'm not the most attractive man, but there sure seems to be alot of antis around my parts to get that many rejections.

------------------
"I hate those geeses to pieces."

gander316
08-15-2000, 06:35 PM
Lots and lots of miles on the truck. Alot of times we get on top of the hills with bino's, compass and topo maps. The Cell phones also come in very handy.

------------------
CUT'EM BOYS!!!!
Gander.

Jossie
08-15-2000, 09:59 PM
We do the same as every one else, get up as high as possible and watch them fly off. We try to pick the biggest groups and follow them. We really have'nt had that tough of a time getting permission. Most of the farmers are actually happy to see us, it's has been kind of amazing how many of them have said the only way they would let us hunt is if we shoot them all. They get pretty tired of these birds comeing in day after day and eating all there wheat. We have even had some farmers whom we did not know give us a call because the geese were destroying there wheat and they have heard we hunt geese. Those are the type of calls I'll take any time!