PDA

View Full Version : angled casting

VTblackfoot
05-24-2004, 02:54 PM
for you guys who have taught your dogs to angle back L and R - how did you go about differentiating the angle cast from "over" and "back"? I have been setting an over dummy and a back dummy out for reference and placing the rest in the angle back pile and just calling him off the side and back if he tries to go to them...any tricks you guys have come up with?

chcltlabz
05-25-2004, 04:57 AM
Have you gone through wagon wheels yet? If you have gone through wagon wheels, then your dog shouldn't have a real tough time transitioning to angle backs within the same pattern.

Outside of the wagon wheel, isolate the angles with either an over, or a straight back, without pressure, just a "no" command if the wrong line is taken.

I also start by placing an over bird where they can see it, and throw the angle back. Instead of releasing the dog as a mark, give the hand signal, and verbal command for the angle. Once the dog is used to this, get away from the verbal, and just go with the hand signal. Then, you can transition away from throwing the bird to pile work, then to cold work.

Hope that helps, that's the way I do it.