PDA

View Full Version : Inexperienced caller in the field??

goosejuicer
08-15-2000, 05:16 AM
Here is a queston for you guys who know something about calling. I read an article last year in Peterson's Hunting. It was about goose hunting, specifically calling. This article suggested that the more guys calling from a field the better. The author said this represented true flock sounds. The cauthor said at least one of the callers had to be an advanced caller, but if the others weren't as proficient, that was okay. His reasoning was that immature geese don't call perfectly, so a few mistakes weren't a big problem so long as somebody in the group was a calling really well. What do you guys think about this? Should the calling be left to the most experienced caller, or can the beginners join in without fear of spooking geese?

------------------
"I hate those geeses to pieces."

Goose Hunter
08-15-2000, 05:47 AM
I've heard the same things...

Yes, when you have two guys blowing, you sound like a lot more geese, reason being, you have sound over sound. I agree with having one good caller and a few novice callers. If you could get those novice callers to just cluck here and there, or maybe even honk, get them doing that, and then you can fill in the rest. Once you get guys doing that, and making so much noise its harder for the geese to pick out the sour notes. From I've heard young geese aren't perfect callers either, but I'd much rather have a bunch of accomplished callers that can sound like a flock of old honkers.

But ya, if your a good caller, and you have 3 or 4 novice callers, you should sound just fine.

Hope that helps.

------------------
Eat, Sleep, Hunt, & work on flocknocker's GREAT LOOKING website.

goosejuicer
08-15-2000, 06:02 AM
Thanks Goose! Just for the record, I'm one of the novice callers. Anyone else have an opinion? It is appreciated.

------------------
"I hate those geeses to pieces."

take-um
08-15-2000, 06:41 AM
i've heard some bad or novice callers trying out calls at stores and even in the field i don't think your a novice we all make bad sounds the odd time but be confident

Flocknocker
08-15-2000, 08:32 AM
Most of us never get to the level of Grounds and the rest. Practice is the key. Don't worry about all the fancy crap. Get the basics down and use what you do well. Don't experiment on a flock of geese use the calls you know you can pull off. If one guy is good at clucking then let him do that and so on. When the birds aren't flying practice together to get some good sounds. Heres the key to your question. Watch the birds!!!!! They will tell you what they like and don't like. Watch their wings and the beat of them you will soon see what I am talking about. You can hit a flock with a call they don't like and it looks like you shot at them. All this takes time it seems now everyone wants to be an overnight expert but it don't work that way. You guys that are asking the questions are the smart ones. The ones that think they know it all never ask any. If you watch the birds and learn from every mistake you will be well on your way to killing lots of birds. Good luck

------------------
Flocknocker
"We're All About Geese"

Gooseguy
08-15-2000, 02:24 PM
The way we di it is: Me and whoever else can call good do that, while the other flags, if we have extra persons yet we have them add in simple honks from one of my easy calls to make it sound more ral. This way the inexperienced caller gets some experience and learns too, also, everyone helps bring in the geese, not just the best caller. Well, thats my 2 cents.

wingfeather
08-15-2000, 06:31 PM
If you have more than one guy calling in the pit you can fill in with crys or simple clucks and moans and sound like a whole bunch of geese. Cliff is right most of the time the geese are on you before you giv'em all the fancy stuff anyways.Most guys don't realize this but when geese come off the roost to feed there calls are alot more clear and sharper than after they feed. They get very gravely and hoarse sounding after the ate there fill and head back to resting fields. So trying blowing a little more clear in the morning and a little more growl when they return. Thats my story and I'm sticking too it!