PDA

View Full Version : First JH PASS!

Eric
06-14-2004, 08:40 AM
Ran my 15 mo BLF in her second Jr Hunt Test on Saturday. She did real well and we were able to get done before the heat really set in. We got our First JR Pass! Now we will continue our training and get ready to run again in the fall with cooler weather.

VTblackfoot
06-14-2004, 02:22 PM
Way to go, Eric - tell us a little about the set up. My BLM is 15 months old, but dont think he is ready for a test. he does pretty good, but he get a little crazy around other dogs still.

Eric
06-14-2004, 02:49 PM
Thanks Sean. Here is what my take was. Because it was forcasted to be in the mid 90's temp. - wise, they ran all 4 marks as one series. The judges explained that after the first mark, each additional mark would be by invitation. The first mark could either make or break you. From the line, the dog could see the fall area, but because of a little crown in the terrain, they couldn't see the water of the pond that was on the line to the mark. So most dogs would drive out about 50 yards to the top of the crown
and then instead of driving down thru the water for a 35 to 40 yard swim to the fall area, they would either hunt the leading edge of the pond or just decide that they didn't want in the water. Also it was windy and this mark was into the wind. Some dogs had problems with this and some had a problem because the popper gun would echo in the trees, so the dog had a difficult
time pinpointing the fall area. I would have to say the first several marks thrown for this mark were thrown really flat as well. Basically this mark was the test. The judges wanted to get the dogs in the water to keep them cool for the remaining marks. The second mark was a flyer that was about a 65 yard mark in short cover. This mark was a cross wind mark and you had
the scent of the bird crates blowing across the fall area. My dog took a very good line except she ended up about two yards upwind of the mark. She drove past about 45 to 50 yards and hunted back. She picked it up and we moved to the third mark. Originally the Judges wanted this to be a land-water-land-water-land mark, but the test dog couldn't do it and the person throwing the mark went up to their waste in the water trying to pick the bird up. So they decided to make it a land-water-land-water mark. It required a short swim across a channel - 20 yards, over a finger of land to the mark that splashed into a shallow pool of open water. A lot easier mark than the original test scenario. The last mark was a short land-water-land mark.
The difficulty was that it was an angle entry and an angled exit out of the water. My dog came out of the water upwind of the mark, drove past it another 30 or so yards, hunted back and picked up the mark. We were dog #9 and were done by 9:30. So we went over to the Masters test and watched them do a quad. That was very impressive. Some dogs did this series without being handled. Amazing! We headed back to the junior test at around 2:00 and they passed out the ribbons at 3:00. I saw a couple of the guys who I had met at the first hunt test we tried. We did not get a passing score there and their dogs did pass. On this day however, my dog made the cut and their's didn't. I guess it goes to show that every dog has its day. So now we are going to continue our training and hit some of the hunt tests this fall when it is hopefully a lot cooler. Sorry to go on so long, but I hope you can get the idea how it played out.

Ruff
06-15-2004, 02:13 PM
Congrat's on the pass!! They sure are a bunch of fun arnt they and give the dog work durring the off season!! :cool:

rustygunner
06-15-2004, 08:10 PM
:cool: great job!:TT:

greyghost16
06-16-2004, 06:09 AM
Good job Eric and pup! My puppy got his first pass last weekend too. I work weekends so the pro who has helped me did the handling. Now two more weekends in a row and one more in September and with a bit of luck he will be titled.

Eric
06-16-2004, 07:48 AM
Congrats to you to Greyghost16! This hunt test game is very addicting. Good luck to you and your pup on your title quest!

widgnwhacker
06-17-2004, 12:38 AM
Congrats on your pass :cool: 3 more to go and you got yourself a TITLE :TT:

WW