PDA

View Full Version : Leaving standing corn

BigFoot
08-15-2000, 02:45 PM
Any suggestions-Am going to get to hunt this year in picked corn field no-till-Farmer said he would leave some stending corn if I wanted him to. What are your suggestions? Mow stalks-where to place decoys-how much corn to leave- we talked about leaving 8-10 rows,but in what direction?This place is about 200 yards directly North of a refuge, no other hunting preasure between us. Using layout blinds and fairly large spread of 8doz silos 4doz. super mag shells,3doz standard shells and 2doz bigfoots. Thanks

------------------
Kevin

Ben-IA
08-15-2000, 03:15 PM
I would cut all the corn. I think that geese like wide open fields rather than ones that have places for coyotes or foxes ro hide in. The ideal situation would be for that farmer to just knock the corn over, but I think then it would be considered a baited field.
Ben

Bill Collector
08-15-2000, 04:34 PM
If you already have the layout blinds, then have all the corn combined. We generally hunt out of standing corn, because we don't have layouts. You need at least 10 rows to hide decently, cause it gets pretty thin and you need to hide 3+ rows in. What "our" farmer usually does is combine approximately 1/3 of the field prior to opener. Then as the season goes on he combines more. He has been known to leave us small "squares" of standing corn and that is generally not the best.

NR

------------------
Bill Collector

I collect bluebills, ringbills, spoonbills or any fowl with a bill!

goosejuicer
08-15-2000, 04:53 PM
Bigfoot, our best day last year came in a no-till corn field. It was about 1 mile from a "refuge-like" gravel pit. The farmer knocked all the corn down. We waited until the geese were feeding in it and set up the next morning. We had only 3 dozen shells, and hid in a blind made by "take-um". With your great spread and layouts, I don't think you need any corn left standing.

------------------
"I hate those geeses to pieces."

tsodak
08-15-2000, 06:17 PM
I agree 1000%, cut it all. They may feed inpartially cut fields, but I think they much prefer wide oipen spaces.

------------------
Smell that powder

Go4Ducks2
08-15-2000, 07:28 PM
I agree too, cut it all...we hunt both and I'll take to open field with the stubs everytime if I can.

------------------
Goose huntin' is the best but I Go4Ducks2 (http://sites.outdoorsite.com/outdoors/go4ducks2)