PDA

View Full Version : Dog Training

ksboy29
06-28-2004, 05:45 AM
I was wondering at what age do I want to start training my chocolate lab?. She will be 7 weeks old when i get her from the breeder. I realize that i need basic obedience, but what is a good age to start with the field work.
Casey

shootem
06-28-2004, 02:58 PM
Till she is 4 months I would not start any thing too formal. Sit here and some lead work. The main thing is too spending a lot of time with the pup take it for walks. Do a few short easy retrieves with it every day. Socialization is the main and biggest factor right now!!! After it is 4 months old you can start more aggressive OB.

wetdawg
06-29-2004, 06:41 AM
You can start when she comes home, but be simple.
Puppy obedience classes are a great place to get in other dog / people socialization, but not until after she has had her last round of puppy shots...about 15 weeks.
In the meantime, find yourself some kind of loose treats.
Pick out those almost wore through socks...ball one inside the other, give it a little oblong shape, and when she comes home you can be working on watch=mark, fetch it up, treats for socks trade, here, and any number of fun pup games...you certainly can do the same outside or in...and don't forget the all important crate training! You can use "load" "kennel" "box" or whichever other command you want...it all carries over to her future with you as a productive hunting dog.
Good Luck.\
:cool:

huntingmarsh
06-29-2004, 09:13 PM
I'd have to agree with both of them........but you might also try getting a duck wing and get it used to duck feathers and the smell. Go get a dog training movie that goes threw what to do with a young pup like ahhhhh water dog or any movie will do. Make sure its always fun and end it with a positive attitude for it, Good luck.

Corey