PDA

View Full Version : Supplements to give??

BlueWing
07-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Hi I was wondering what supplements,vitamens I could give my dog to help prevent all those nasty things dogs get with age hips/joint problems...my dog is 3 year old chocolate lab and I wanna give him any help I can preventing any problems down the road thanks

BEAR CALLER
07-05-2004, 09:40 PM
Hey Bluewing,
I have a chocolate male as well and had to recently take him in for a check-up believing he was getting arthritis. It turned out he doesn't but the vet told me about adding glucosamine??? to his food. It's a beef flavoured liquid which you can put on his /her food and I bought it right at the vet although you may be able to get it at a natural food store just maybe not chicken or beef flavoured. I was told it was good for my dogs joints. My dog is 10 so it may not be what you need but it may put you in the right direction. Best of luck.

gw-smith
07-06-2004, 06:13 PM
Yes - glucosamine is a product that is commonly recommended by some vets to prevent and/or treat joint and bone problems. Although I used to really not be a fan of this product - there is more and more research to show that it just might work to rehabilitate cartilage, reduce the progression of arthritis, and significantly lessen pain from arthritis in dogs.

There are several different formulations of glucosamine and it even comes in some dog foods now. However, one glucosamine product can be very different from another.

Liquid glucosamine is supposed to be the best (is absorbed better than the pills) - two products I am aware of are called SynFlex and VetFlex (see the websites below)

http://www.activexamerica.com/pets/

http://www.cortaflex.com%20/

The Syn-flex in my opinion is a much better product and is likely the best on the market. It has a very high concentration of glucosamine and has synergistic products (to help improve the efficiency of glucosamine) such as chrondroitin sulfate, and omega fatty acids. If you are going to use glucosamine - this is the one to buy.

Probably the most popular tablet (pill) is called Cosequin. This has long been available and is commonly recommended by veterinarians to limit joint/bone disease. Not that there is anything wrong with it but the liquid products are definitely better.

Glucosamine is not a magic bullet to prevent and/or treat joint disease but probably does help. At worst it doesn't do any harm. Other than that - make sure you dog eats a quality dog food and gets regular exercise.

BlueWing
07-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, he is only 3 and is 100% healthy but I just wanted to help the odds in his favour down the road, any little bit they can get helps, thanks again if there is any to add let me know, I am gonna look at getting the supplement for him thanks:TT:

gw-smith
11-22-2004, 06:11 PM
Bump - here's some info on glucosamine

Ghira's Dad
11-23-2004, 09:01 PM
I started taking glucosamine and chondroitin about ten years ago for my own arthritis. It works very slowly, over a period of months and years, but bilieve me, it works. Now, they are commonly taken with MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) which acts as a joint lubricant and may offer shorter term relief. I give all three to Ghirardelli, plus the ester form of vitamine C. The research supporting ester C is not solid but there is some very strong anecdotal evidence supporting use of ester C. I've talked to three vets, and they all support use of all four products.

What a shame that we have to deal with this in our hunting dogs. We need to pay less attention to the number of field champions in the pedigrees and pay a lot more attention to the hip ratings of the breeders.

H2ODawgs
01-22-2005, 07:48 AM
Glucosamine HCI and Chondrotin Sulfate does seem to work in most cases. My oldest male is 9 and also a NAHRA GMHR. When he was about 4, I noticed he whimpered a little as he jumped out of the truck. I had his hips x-rayed and he did indeed have one hip that was bad.

I don't have to keep him on it as he's retired from tests and hunting now and his hip isn't real bad but it's not good either. Once in a great while he will re-injure it, usually when playing around with my younger female. He'll whimper at times and you can see he's a little sore. I'll put him on the Glucosamine and Condrotin and after about 2 days the symptoms are gone and he's back to running around again. I've also talked to other who had the same experience. FWIW....

Chris

Ghira's Dad
01-30-2005, 07:42 PM
H2ODAWGS,
I don't doubt that your and other dogs improved after two days on glucosamine and chondroitin. However, the benefit was from two days of rest, not from the chemicals. These products must be given for months before they produce effects. Joint damage is not repaired in a few days. MSM may provide quicker relief as it is primarily a joint lubricant.

Driftwood
08-19-2005, 02:04 PM
I just wanted to bump into this discussion regarding supplements. We feed ours HIP HEALTH. Here is a link to their website.
http://www.petmax.com/hiphealth.html
Compare the ingredients to what gw-smith mentioned.

We have a 3+ year old German Shephard male that was diagnosed at 6 months old. We took him to Purdue University and they recommended ... to the tone of $2500+.

His left hip socket is 1/2 gone and the ball sits outside and above the remaining socket tissue. You can see the bulge through his fur and the x-ray is horrifying. The right hip joint has about a 3/8" gap between the socket and ball.

Since then we have been giving him this product and he still runs around with the two other dogs. Our vet told us by the time he as 3-4 yrs old he would be in so much pain he will have to be put down. He can't get over the way the dog is managing. The dog loves the vet and wants to jump around with him. He can still leave all fours when he gets really wound up.

All the other dogs get this supplement too and we are looking forward to the OFA x-rays. We think they will probably go "excellent". I agree with the statement to PAY MORE ATTENTION TO THE HIPS of the sire & dam.

My $.02 worth.

h2ofwlr
11-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Casey was on Chondro-flexII which is a liver flavored joint care tablets made by Vitality Systems. 1-800-877-0177 It has Glucosamine, SCS, MSM, etc It seemed to help his arthritic type of symptoms due to Lyme disease. Unfortunetely Casey died 2 days ago due to the complications of Lyme disease.:CY:

But The product seemed to help there for awhile as he seemed to get a second wind in late Sept. from the effects of the disease. And I know of guys and gals that swear by it for their older dogs.

BTW, the same basic formula is used for people too, except a different grade of of it.

Honkerman
02-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Heres a secret Flax oil caplets 2 a day.All the same benifits that people get.. Skin,liver function,coat,joints,ect...And its cheep!

Justin Davidson
01-26-2009, 05:09 PM
i give my 11 year old dog vitamin C,E and salmon oil along with "medicam" a arthritis supplement that works wonders!! would recommend Medicam to any owner of older dogs.