PDA

View Full Version : kidney failure

Tim Williams
07-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Duffy, my 4-1/2 year old female lab was diagnosed 2 years ago w/ Primary Parahypothyroidism. It has been an expensive nightmare but she has survived it so far w/ medication.

However, she may be in the early stages of kidney failure (not yet confirmed) and the vet is confiring w/ the vet that helped treat her at Oklahoma State University Vet College.

Can any of you give me some idea of what we may need to go thru? I know her illness will cut her life short, and I will do what I can to help her enjoy "quality of life".

Any bits of info would be greatly appreciated.

gw-smith
07-13-2004, 01:42 PM
Tim - sorry to hear about the possible kidney failure. Hopefully it's early in the course of disease, however generally this is a progressive disorder. Occasionally a cause for kidney failure can be found (ie. bacterial infection, etc) and this condition reversed, however most cases are never diagnosed.

Unfortunately we don't really have any good treatment options for kidney failure in veterinary medicine. Your veterinarian will likely tell you to feed your dog a specific food that is "easier" on the kidneys. You will also need to encourage your dog to drink water and in some cases periodic fluid therapy is recommended. Your veterinarian will also likely want to monitor your dog's blood work periodically to see how fast the renal failure is progressing. He will look at a couple specific enzymes in the blood - the best of which is called "creatinine." If your dog's creatinine is consistently over 2.5 or so then he probably does have some early kidney failure. If you can maintain it less than 3-4 for awhile on the special diet - you might get some extra time out of the dog. However once it gets about 4-5 - your time with your buddy is definitely starting to come to an end.

I sure wish I could give a better outlook for your dog but kidney failure is a condition we just don't treat very well in animals. Maybe with luck it will be something else or the rare case of a treatable kidney disease.

Jay L
07-13-2004, 02:51 PM
gw smith gives accurate advice from my experience. we had a wirehair who developed kidney failure at the age of 6, or that is when it was detected, prior to the blood work revealing this there was no sign of a problem. we fed her a special food, went to the vet for blood work every 2 weeks, and surgery was not an option as both kidneys were affected with the problem. vet told us as long as she acted normally she could do whatever she was capable of and she was not in pain until the very end. she went from appearing fine to not being able to stand up overnight. The whole process was about 9 months. we had to put her to sleep then. Hate to give bad news, but she really did seem fine until the day before we put her down, and the vet said that was probably how it would be, just no way to tell if it would be months or years. good luck

Jay

Road Runner
07-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Sorry to hear that./ I wish the best of luck to you and your pooch.

fall flighter
07-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Hey there. If i can help let me know. I have so friend that are vets. and i will check with them. I will check tonight. email me

Your new pal Eric M.

bigredguy42
07-16-2004, 09:47 PM
GW Hit the nail on the head . A few years back my male dog was going through the same thing. I spent alot of money on the old boy but the first thing the Vet told me was to put him on a special diet. The dog food he was eating was white color with not much smell. After a couple of months i came home and the dog was holding up the house it was really hard to get him to move and when he did it was very slow. Had him put Down about a year after we found out just could not stand to see him suffer.
I hope everything works out for your pup

Art

Gary Crafton
07-25-2004, 08:44 PM
I wish you the best of luck and i hope everything turns out good for you, i lost my lab drifter a little over a year ago after spending about 5 gran on bills and medicine, and driving mister gw smith crazy on here with questions he had blasto and even tho i knew what the outcome was going to be i did everything i could to save him, I now have Gator the lab in the pic but there is not a week that goes by i don't think of Drifter, so i know your night mare. Mr Smith is probaly the most knowledgable vet i know so i would listen to his advice. .... Good luck

Littman
07-30-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by gw-smith
Tim - sorry to hear about the possible kidney failure. Hopefully it's early in the course of disease, however generally this is a progressive disorder. Occasionally a cause for kidney failure can be found (ie. bacterial infection, etc) and this condition reversed, however most cases are never diagnosed.

Unfortunately we don't really have any good treatment options for kidney failure in veterinary medicine. Your veterinarian will likely tell you to feed your dog a specific food that is "easier" on the kidneys. You will also need to encourage your dog to drink water and in some cases periodic fluid therapy is recommended. Your veterinarian will also likely want to monitor your dog's blood work periodically to see how fast the renal failure is progressing. He will look at a couple specific enzymes in the blood - the best of which is called "creatinine." If your dog's creatinine is consistently over 2.5 or so then he probably does have some early kidney failure. If you can maintain it less than 3-4 for awhile on the special diet - you might get some extra time out of the dog. However once it gets about 4-5 - your time with your buddy is definitely starting to come to an end.

I sure wish I could give a better outlook for your dog but kidney failure is a condition we just don't treat very well in animals. Maybe with luck it will be something else or the rare case of a treatable kidney disease.

I give the exact same advice to people with the same condition, except when it gets bad enought, there is the dialysis option[