PDA

View Full Version : What is the best grain to broad cast after bushing hoging.

buckduck
08-17-2000, 05:14 PM
I am not a farmer so I need some help here.We have one bean field to plant after it is picked and one weed field we need to plant something in after it is bush hoged.Is there something we can broad cast into the fields without having to incorupate it into the soil????????

------------------
Fight gun control.It`s hard to kill ducks with a rocks,and you might just keep America free.

Backwater
08-17-2000, 06:12 PM
Buckduck,
It really depends on if you are going to flood the fields or not. It is getting very late in the growing season to hope to have mature plants before the first frost. If you are not going to incorporate the seed the options are best for the cheapest seed you can find, as not all of it will germinate. I would try to find a local co-op that has some old seed wheat(bin-run) and try it. Or oats are a good bet as they are very cold tolerant and the greenary is good goose browse, then I would try buckwheat, or perhaps a blend of all three. You could try Japanese or pearl millet but I do not think it will be mature by the first frost(most is 90 days) consult your local Natural Resource Conservation Service on a source for seed.
Backwater