PDA

View Full Version : Info about Chessies

NWMOhunter
07-18-2004, 06:32 PM
I've been wanting a retriever and had figured on a lab (want chocolate). I finally saw a Chessie in person in Memphis and then saw one again today on TV. I LOVE the way they look so now I'm really wanting one. I like the looks, plus not a whole bunch of people have them so it is something unique.

Can people post up some info about Chessies? I'm wanting info on behavior types, how they are with retrieving and stuff like that. I've read that their coats hold up better for colder weather, but haven't heard all that much about temperment. I'd like to hear from people who have them or have hunted with them.

AKAREDDOG
07-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Here is a picture of my 28 month female. I have two senior hunt test passes on her now. Here is usefull web site on Chessies.

http://cbrs4me.com/chesapeake/wwwboard/general

I know she can really take the cold. I hunt a lot of times on a creek after it freeze solid. I've hunt in running water down to 10 degees and it is never been a problem.

Watch out of the hips. OFA says Chessies are worst than Labs. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/pbd35233408c22ac378a6dd9fb61f6ab4/f985820f.jpg

NWMOhunter
07-18-2004, 10:05 PM
I had never heard that about Chessies. I called one breeder about a litter and she said that neither the mother or father was certified and didn't know of any in the lineage that was. Sire is 8 and Dam is 2. A little too risky for me.

Thanks for the link!

shootem
07-19-2004, 06:27 AM
If the parents are not OFA rated run don't walk run away fron that litter. Take youe time look read and talk to several breeders and most of all learn before you buy. Buy a pup from field trail stock or at least hunt test titled parents.

chcltlabz
07-19-2004, 06:27 AM
DEFINITELY watch the hips. Chessies that aren't carefully bred are very susceptable to displaysia, at an even younger age than some labs. With careful breeding, you shouldn't have a problem.

One thing to consider if you do get one, is chessies don't necessarily take to the same training methods as labs. Not necessarily worse, just different. Stubborn little bastards that they are:rof: There are a few training regimens out there specifically directed at the temperment of the chessie.

The ones that I've trained with seem to want everything to be their way. You can train them, but they have to believe that its "their" idea, not yours, and they're just going along with it. Also, these dogs (not all of them I realize) weren't overly friendly either. They weren't mean, just not friendly.

Once you got them trained, look out, because you had a real retrieving machine on your hands. The ones I've hunted or tested with seemed to have a more "working" approach to it. It wasn't fun to them like you see with other dogs, it was their job, but they were good at what they did.

NWMOhunter
07-19-2004, 02:40 PM
The litter I called about was from trial and test stock which is what kind of surprised me with them not being certified. She said the male had not been hunted, but the female had been and she had "several" (not sure how many) CH, SH and MH's in the lineage.

I'm kind of hot on the trail of a pup to get started now for later on. I have another litter of chocolate labs I'm looking at too. This litter was an accident. The owners left for vacation and didn't count on the Dam coming in and the person taking care of the dogs didn't know any better. The adults are 2 and 2 1/2. Both have certification in their background, but they have not been able to complete the certification of the parents.

I'd like a Chessie, but they seem to be hard to find. I'll keep looking but might end up with a chocolate.

rustygunner
07-19-2004, 05:36 PM
Im not sure how far you might want to look but i know a few good chessie guys that you could talk to in Wisconsin...if you want i can pm some phone#.
co

chcltlabz
07-20-2004, 05:38 AM
Well, I'm kind of partial, so I won't comment on your choice...

Sure I will GET A CHOCOLATE LAB!:tn:

Woods and Water
07-22-2004, 05:33 PM
I think when choosing a dog you need to look at alot things.I would say just for the fact of ease in getting good stock that a lab might be a better choice.But if your really interested in chessies dont rush it do some reading and talk with as many breeders as you can to see which breed fits your situation better.Good luck to you!

NWMO....If you want any info on the chessies Pm me.I have a few places you can look(none in your area though).

Mark

DBS
07-24-2004, 06:57 PM
Glad to here that you are interested in a Chessie for your hunting partner. There are many things to consider when purchasing a good hunting or Trial dog of any breed, this is specificly true with Chesapeakes. Be very choosy of the pedigree your dog comes from. Reseach many different lines that include tittles such as FC, Dual AfC, MH, or HRCH and research the breeder.

There are alot of good Chessie's out there and they make a great hunting companion, but learn about the breed and the training that is required to produce such a Dog. I myself have chessies and run them in "CKC" hunt tests and use my dogs to guide with all season long. Send me a PM if you are interested in a Chessie from good lines here in Canada.

Good Luck
Derek Samson

sprigkiller09
07-25-2004, 03:46 PM
Well, I trained chessies for about 4 years and there are quite a few thingsa to consider. Do you want a dog that will be in the house and hunt or just an outdoor dog? Chessies are very stubborn and will occasionally snap if not treated their way. So if you have any small children that might be one thing to consider. If their tail gets pulled chances are they will bite, more often than a lab.
Pedigree is very important as stated earlier make sure you have good bloodlines, or you could be greatly dissapointed. Also be ready for a challege and some work, Chessies as i said before seem to have stubborn traits and they often times wont listen no matter what, so be ready for that.
Chessies are very durable and many have die hard retrieving tendinces if you get the right dog. They are agressive as a whole in the field or not. Good luck and hope this helps.

Ruff
07-25-2004, 07:01 PM
I love all the myths about chessies. If traind and socialized correctly they are just as docile and a great family pet as a Lab or Golden. Here's a picture of a mean grizzly stuborne Chessie doing what a child wants it to do and not what the chessie wants :LOL:

Ruff
07-25-2004, 07:02 PM
One more of the team after a workout

DBS
07-25-2004, 07:52 PM
Ruff

Well put, if there are kids around in the next yard or at the park thats where my two peakes are, rolling around on the gound and playing with the children. They seem to be drawn to them.

A Chesapeakes attitude is only what you make it, socialization is the key to success. I've seen and hunted over many labs that in my opinion would be much more prone to violence than alot of BIG , BAD , MEAN, KILLER CHESAPEAKES (Or thats how many people would classify them)

By the way those fine looking Chessie's.

pudldux
07-26-2004, 01:23 PM
this guy here is about as mellow as can be with kids, adults and other dogs. As said b4, a dog is the product of its surroundings. I have a golden next door that I will not let the kids play in the back yard without me if that dog is out. Also have a buddy who has lab raises it back hair and growls whenever a kid comes in the house.

My 10 yr old son getting ready at the line to run Drake

Gandergunman
07-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Great thread! I have been interested in a Chessie for the next dog (I own a lab now), but have always been hesitant with two young children at home. The dog would, of course, be a hunting companion. First, however, he would need to be a good citizen in the house.

JK
08-08-2004, 08:14 AM
good topic...as mentioned, it is always interesting to hear opinions regarding chessies. im on my third chessie and simpply love them. admittedly, they are wired much differently than labs, but chessies do get a bad rap...nothing a good collar and operator cant fix.

here's irony for you...last year, my chessie was bitten by a dog while hunting...a black lab. i was upset cause this guy (a client) thought it was funny. he obviously wasnt invited back to our operation this year.

NWMO...check out castlepeake kennels in myrtle, missouri. i have purchased two chessies from them. they are up and coming chessie breeders that put lots of time and effort into their dogs..all chessies. their dogs are making their ways onto the scene very quickly...they have long been chessie breeders for show dogs, and now have been breeding for test, trial and hunting for the last few years. the englens are very good people and take their chessies very seriously...give'm a shout. just do an engine search for castlepeake kennels.

also, try www.browndog.com. a forum for chessies and also try www.retrievertraining.net and do a hail call for lisa van loo. she is a big time chessie breeder that can lead you in the right direction for world class chessie pups! good luck, my man. once you go chessie, you wont ever go black.

jake

rustygunner
08-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Ruff, good pic's! i train with a guy who run's chessies....they are great big teddy bears!!

Bail
08-12-2004, 12:07 PM
NWMOHUNTER: I have relatives in Independence, Ks that have registered chessies. They also hunt them a lot. I've had my male for 7 years now and he's excellent with kids but like they say, they are really stubborn to train, at first but you'll never find a dog that will retrieve like a chessie. They never quit. Just my $.02