PDA

View Full Version : wondering about my lab

ksboy29
07-21-2004, 05:29 AM
I have a 8 week old Choc lab female. She isnt like a normal lab, she isnt excited about anything, the only time she gets excited is when she see's me comming to let her out of her pen in the morning. I was wondering if this will change? She dosnt act like a normal puppy, i mean she is a good girl, but i cant seem to get her interested in anything. is there anything i can do?
Casey:hp:

chcltlabz
07-21-2004, 06:01 AM
At 8 weeks old, she's still getting used to the fact that she doesn't have mom and her brothers and sisters around.

Spend as much time as humanly possible with her to make a good tight bond, and I wouldn't worry. Mention it to the vet at your next visit, but I wouldn't worry.

csgrizz
07-29-2004, 07:55 AM
My BLF Maggie was exactly like that as a pup. Only difference is she was not real excited about anything all the way up to 18 months old.

Turned out to be a blessing in disguise as she was so laid back that she was very easy to train and turned out to be a very decent gun dawg (for my first attempt at training ever).

To this day she will retrieve bumpers ONLY because I tell her to. But she goes about 1/4 speed. But don't get in her way on a live bird, and YES she can distinguish between em.

Her personality is : I will retrieve the ducks when ya shoot, so quit messing with these darn bumpers.

AS choc said, concentrate on bonding now, and probably a little early to start worrying.

good luck with the pup,

later,

CS

BlueWing
07-30-2004, 05:52 PM
all good advice, my choc lab was a male and the same way, laid back and only fetched bumpers cause told, now its like a switch he runs after anything, and the more he hunts the more speed he is getting with every retrieve decide now what you want, a show stoper or a good gun dog, cause dogs are like people they have personalities, and some its like a switch turns on and they get whats expected and will do it cause of the bond you created and your training will come together, I mean really good pedigree only helps with making things easier but if people can train dogs to run obsticle courses we can train them to fetch birds, simple concept really..dont worry